#31 Christian

Christian

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(Studio-D @ Oct 12 2006, 09:27 AM) View Post

One thing ive noticed with some of the newer cams like the 5d, is that not only can u start with raw, but u can also record it as JPG at the same time.

Yeah I can see how that can be useful at times, although that feature can be found on every DSLR currently on the market and has been that way for at least five years - so it's hardly new or unique to the 5D. smile.gif
Christian Wright - Dip Phot
Baulkham Hills, NSW

#32 cassarilda

cassarilda

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Christian @ Oct 12 2006, 11:40 AM) View Post

Yeah I can see how that can be useful at times, although that feature can be found on every DSLR currently on the market and has been that way for at least five years - so it's hardly new or unique to the 5D. smile.gif

I was about to say that my camera does it as well...

Now you two, stop it! ph34r.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

(I know of a good camera/photography forum you guys can debate the pros and cons of RAW vs JPG, and how "evil" those who dont shoot RAW are, if you want the URL wink.gif )
IPB Image

Your life will never be measured by what you intended to do, but by what you actually achieved.

#33 Christian

Christian

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(cassarilda @ Oct 12 2006, 11:52 AM) View Post

(I know of a good camera/photography forum you guys can debate the pros and cons of RAW vs JPG, and how "evil" those who dont shoot RAW are, if you want the URL wink.gif )

Been there, done that - no thanks! There's no winning that war!

But we're not debating the merits of RAW vs JPEG capture anyway, just clarifying the process that's all. smile.gif

BTW; I see you are a member of photo.net forum (I thought you would know better about the effect of DoF incidentally. wink.gif biggrin.gif ).
Baulkham Hills, NSW

#34 Studio-D

Studio-D

• frequent poster
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Oct 12 2006, 11:59 AM) View Post

Been there, done that - no thanks! There's no winning that war!

But we're not debating the merits of RAW vs JPEG capture anyway, just clarifying the process that's all. smile.gif

BTW; I see you are a member of photo.net forum (I thought you would know better about the effect of DoF incidentally. wink.gif biggrin.gif ).

im having a bad week... im not saying what im thinking clear enough..
what i meant to say was what you jsut said.. that is newer cameras feature this (of the ones in use mostly today) but not everyone uses it... LOL

OK I think i'll shut up now.. lol i need sleep...
wheres my teddy bear...
Studio-D
Digital Video and Multimedia Productions

#35 cassarilda

cassarilda

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Oct 12 2006, 11:59 AM) View Post

Are you stalking me?! ohmy.gif ph34r.gif Id be intrigued to know which post youre going on about...

Hold on Christian, I havent been active in that forum for YEARS.. give me a break!!! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Stop picking on me *whiney voice* rolleyes.gif laugh.gif Ive got a good excuse.. laugh.gif
IPB Image

Your life will never be measured by what you intended to do, but by what you actually achieved.

#36 Christian

Christian

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(cassarilda @ Oct 12 2006, 06:13 PM) View Post

Are you stalking me?! ohmy.gif ph34r.gif Id be intrigued to know which post youre going on about...

Hold on Christian, I havent been active in that forum for YEARS.. give me a break!!! tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Stop picking on me *whiney voice* rolleyes.gif laugh.gif Ive got a good excuse.. laugh.gif

Hmmm, four months according to this:
http://www.photo.net...p=2826#post2826

Not that I'm keeping tabs... ph34r.gif
Baulkham Hills, NSW

#37 Keir

Keir

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,233 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:15 AM

back to the OP topic...

QUOTE(empress @ Oct 9 2006, 04:58 PM) View Post

Yes I'm definitely getting them in hi-res on DVD. That was one of my main stipulations.. if they didn't offer this service or wanted to charge exhorbitant price for this or said I had to wait 1,2,3 years... I crossed them off the list immediately. I wanted these as I didn't want to get an album just yet.

Like Empress I negotiated my package to include the high-res files. I'm also getting a proof album of all photos and 8 hours coverage for just under $2k.
Being able to put the photos on the internet was important for us (since our family and friends are spread all over the world) and I also want to create my own album as I'm not a fan of the album's photographers put together!

#38 leanne whitely photography

leanne whitely photography

• New User
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

I think what studio D was saying.. and it is definately true of the 1dsMKII... not sure about the 5d.. that you can write to two cards consecutivley... so an SD card.. and a microdrive.. have one card written in JPEG, and one card written in RAW....
Brides in general need not worry about getting their files reproduced in a RAW format... unless the photography is bad.. and needs working on.. JPEG is what you want if you need to get photos printed...
RAW has the advantages of being an unflattened photo, where more advanced editing can be done.. but this generally requires software that will do this..and also requires to you to know what you are doing with them..
It also really depends on your photographer as to whether they include hi res negatives...some hold on to them for a while.. or others may charge to obtain them.. or otherwise they are included in the package..i must say my basic package looks like this..So yes... as a photographer I would allow couples to have their High Files

>
> Bride's home, Groom before ceremony.
> Ceremony
> Bridal Party and Family shots
> Location
> Group Shot
> Mock cake cutting
> Shots of Reception venue, table settings.
> DVD of all high resolution images
> All images 6x4size prints (280+)
>5-8x12 enlargements,
DVD slideshow set to music of all images
1-12x18 enlargement ----- for around $1280

#39 jet

jet

The Purkey Turkey!

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

Hey guys..

You scobbling photographers....your debating is realling giving me an education here. Thanks heaps!!

Anyways....gonna PM you for you view on another topic.
Follow me on my blog!

IPB Image

#40 Studio-D

Studio-D

• frequent poster
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

Hey Leanne W,
The 5d, only has one CF slot.. although 2 would be nice.. lol It does have a funky WiFi attachement which makes do with teh Solid State recording though.
Plug it in, network the camera to your WiFi enabled laptop and voila, instant image transfers, no cards, unless you want a hardware backup.

What i was specifically refering to was dual format recording (RAW and JPG) of the one image onto the card at teh same time..
I was also refering to the many photogs ive come across (I do video) who DONT use this function.
To me, it just seems to be a means to kill 2 birds with one stone as conversins arent a requirement if you already have the images in both formats.
Thats what i shoud have written in my initial post.. lol

As for the comments people have made on debating. i wouldnt call it that... LOL We're all in agreement here.. lol although i havent been as specific re-format agnositcs as Christian, but we're on the same road either way..
Studio-D
Digital Video and Multimedia Productions

#41 Christian

Christian

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(leanne whitely photography @ Oct 13 2006, 08:47 AM) View Post

I think what studio D was saying.. and it is definately true of the 1dsMKII... not sure about the 5d.. that you can write to two cards consecutivley... so an SD card.. and a microdrive.. have one card written in JPEG, and one card written in RAW....

No, he was just referring to the retention of both file formats - dual media wasn't part of the discussion. But since you brought it up, the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II doesn't support writing of RAW to one card and JPEG to the other. Only the Canon EOS-1D Mark II N supports this feature.

QUOTE(leanne whitely photography @ Oct 13 2006, 08:47 AM) View Post

RAW has the advantages of being an unflattened photo

'Unflattened' is a bit misleading, it isn't a .psd (Photoshop) file and there are no 'layers' like you find with a .psd file.

BTW Leanne, you may want to read this: http://community.i-d...amp;#entry60962 and modify accordingly. cool.gif
Baulkham Hills, NSW

#42 leanne whitely photography

• New User
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE(Christian @ Oct 13 2006, 11:13 AM) View Post

No, he was just referring to the retention of both file formats - dual media wasn't part of the discussion. But since you brought it up, the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II doesn't support writing of RAW to one card and JPEG to the other. Only the Canon EOS-1D Mark II N supports this feature.
'Unflattened' is a bit misleading, it isn't a .psd (Photoshop) file and there are no 'layers' like you find with a .psd file.

BTW Leanne, you may want to read this: http://community.i-d...amp;#entry60962 and modify accordingly. cool.gif

I advertise on Ido as well.. so not sure why there is a favouritism for any one photographer on this forum.. but none the less... your abrasiveness is noted.. and I'm sure if there was a bouquet for rudeness.. you'd be in the line up.. I have participated in other forums.. and there is a lot of unnecessary rivalry here.. that comes across as squabbling rather than friendly discussion of the different aspects of photography.. that can prove helpful to brides...
anyway apart from your bossiness of private messaging me and telling me to chage my user name and delete my posts I will be on my way.. and leave you to your business ....In any professional photography bodies we agree to share knowledge, and to go about things in a nice manner...
Cheers Leanne

#43 Christian

Christian

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(leanne whitely photography @ Oct 13 2006, 11:35 AM) View Post

I advertise on Ido as well.. so not sure why there is a favouritism for any one photographer on this forum.. but none the less... your abrasiveness is noted.. and I'm sure if there was a bouquet for rudeness.. you'd be in the line up.. I have participated in other forums.. and there is a lot of unnecessary rivalry here.. that comes across as squabbling rather than friendly discussion of the different aspects of photography.. that can prove helpful to brides...
anyway apart from your bossiness of private messaging me and telling me to chage my user name and delete my posts I will be on my way.. and leave you to your business ....In any professional photography bodies we agree to share knowledge, and to go about things in a nice manner...
Cheers Leanne

How do you argue favouritism Leanne? I don't post my price list in the forum, nor do I have my business name as my username.

The rules are clear, I don't make them - take it up with the mods if you have a problem.

Now if you want to participate in a non-commercial, non-prejudicial sense like the rest of us then you are most welcome to join in. Otherwise, I could care less for your attitude and quite frankly you need to grow up. You did the wrong thing, cop it on the chin and move on...

Baulkham Hills, NSW

#44 leanne whitely photography

• New User
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Oct 13 2006, 12:15 PM) View Post

How do you argue favouritism Leanne? I don't post my price list in the forum, nor do I have my business name as my username.

The rules are clear, I don't make them - take it up with the mods if you have a problem.

Now if you want to participate in a non-commercial, non-prejudicial sense like the rest of us then you are most welcome to join in. Otherwise, I could care less for your attitude and quite frankly you need to grow up. You did the wrong thing, cop it on the chin and move on...

Oh dear... well if it was just up to the mods.. this would be fine.. but it was YOU.. who told me to delete my posts and change MY user name... but having read the some of the posts I am not only person you have treated in this manner... and she was just a bride... Cheers...Leanne

#45 Christian

Christian

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(leanne whitely photography @ Oct 13 2006, 12:30 PM) View Post

Oh dear... well if it was just up to the mods.. this would be fine.. but it was YOU.. who told me to delete my posts and change MY user name... but having read the some of the posts I am not only person you have treated in this manner... and she was just a bride... Cheers...Leanne

No she was just an ignorant Bride, there's a difference.

Keep digging that hole Leanne. The rules are pinned at the top of the forum for a reason - do you frequently forget to read rules or do you just care not to have any manners?
Baulkham Hills, NSW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users