19 replies to this topic

#16 lazuli

lazuli

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

all our key songs were chosen pretty carefully, as hubby is one of the types of listen to the words. we went to one of his cousins weddings about six months before ours, and he couldn't get over the fact the song they walked out to was basically about stalking an ex!

we had gorecki as our bridal dance, which is just beautiful...
<center>IPB Image
wedding photos other photos
</center>

#17 Nemo

Nemo

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:04 PM

As a singer, I believe it's ALL in the words...

I totally agree, not that I can sing or anything, but I think you really need to listen to the words.

undefinedDannielle, that song is about Eddie Vedder's abusive step father - so you're right! It's about how his mother put up with an awful relationship because she didn't think that she was worth 'a better man'.

Shellbell, I will have to tell H2B about that, jsut to do a little I told you so! wink.gif

#18 Sonia

Sonia

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:58 AM

Here is a classic one.

I heard couples playing "Every breath you take" by Sting at weddings. This song is about a chronic stalker!!!

Sonia

#19 CJ.

CJ.

Frequent Poster

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

I agree with that you do really need to listen to the lyrics.....my H2B wanted to have during some part of the ceremony the Beach Boys song "God only knows" but first line is "I may not always love you" Ha! I banned this one from the list!!

#20 tracey&leon

tracey&leon

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

I'm a great big fan of the Hunters (Hunter & Collectors)... But I heard that their song "Throw your arms around me" which DOES sound VERY romantic is actually a song about a prostitute... "So shed your skin & lets get started"...

I was actually about to start a new topic in this thread, but instead I will ask my question here... What do you all think of Missy Higgins "Special Two"... I get the feeling that she is alone and reminscing about a love that was (it sounds like the chorus is past tense).

Another song a little like that is the VERY mystical "Stardust" by Nat King Cole. I LOVE this song, as I love the way it seems to have two parts to it (it starts off slow, then picks up). This is a song also about a relationship that never quite was "The stardust melody, a memory, of loves refrain"... Despite this, I am HOPING I might be able to get away with playing it during the course of the evening!

I think that sometimes it does pay to listen, because most of your guests will be hearing the songs perhaps for the first time.

Would be good if I can get other's opinions on "Special Two"!

Cheers,

Tracey

<center>user posted image</center>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users