19 replies to this topic

#16 Foxglove

Foxglove

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:22 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I am up to my third hair and makeup trial!

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you luck with your search! You'll find somebody, you just have to persevere and you'll get there!
Nicole
<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...hdayticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=&t2=Connor is&b=15&c=0x003399&f=14&y=2007&m=6&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a href="http://www.widdlytin....com/">Birthday Tickers from WiddlyTinks.com</a></center>

#17 laura7

laura7

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

I'm glad I came across this post - I had one make up trial, and I wasn't 100% happy with it, but I thought everyone else seemed to have one trial and be done with it - I thought I must be the odd one!

Glad to hear others have had less than great trials. smile.gif

Actually I just re-read that and it sounds terrible! I'm not glad you've had bad trials, just that I'm not alone... Oh you know what I mean!

Being in Sydney I can't help you Angelbel sorry!

But good luck! tongue.gif

4th February 2006 - Happily Married

#18 5Angels

5Angels

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (laura7 @ Sep 9 2005, 05:29 PM)
I'm glad I came across this post - I had one make up trial, and I wasn't 100% happy with it, but I thought everyone else seemed to have one trial and be done with it - I thought I must be the odd one!

Glad to hear others have had less than great trials. smile.gif

Actually I just re-read that and it sounds terrible! I'm not glad you've had bad trials, just that I'm not alone... Oh you know what I mean!

Being in Sydney I can't help you Angelbel sorry!

But good luck! tongue.gif

laugh.gif

I know what you were trying to say because I thought I was the only one having these problems, so it's reassuring that it does happen and I'm not just being a prima donna about it LOL!
Little angels gone but never forgotten

15th July 2006 - 6wks
22nd August 2006 - 5w3d
4th May 2008 - 6w4d
30th September 2008 - 10w3d
possibly a 5th but will never know for sure - August 2011

Marriage over after 7 rocky wasted years on a lying cheating prick who broke my heart. Moved 1/2 way around the world for him only to be treated like a doormat.

#19 cassrae

cassrae

• New User
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

I know that having makeup trials can be really daunting. Here are my tips for successful trials, from someone who has been there and done that!

BEFORE you spend a fortune on trials...

* DO YOUR RESEARCH!

- Look on websites for examples of a stylist's work, get some shots emailed to you or ask them to bring their portfolio to you to look at photos on paper. If you don't like what you see, don't book!

- Ask for proof of testimonials from previous clients. Ask others what it was they liked/disliked about their trials/wedding day stylist.

- ask PLENTY of questions when you contact makeup artists. Ask about products, service, qualifications, experience etc. A great question to ask is why you should book them over other stylists. If you don't like their answers it may be a good idea to look elsewhere.

- price does not always determine ability, qualifications, products or experience. You can still find a good stylist on a budget.

- start looking EARLY! You can still find someone last minute, but it does limit your options and you may end up paying more than you can afford.

- ask if you will be having the same stylist for the trial as on the wedding day, as this is not always the case!

* DURING the trial...

- provide as much info as possible. A good stylist will ask many questions about your likes/dislikes, skin needs, colour scheme, bridal party etc. Have some photos from magazines of makeup you like/dislike to show them. What you DON'T LIKE is very valuable information, so speak up!

- ask to hold a mirror so you can look at each stage of the makeup process, because you must be happy with the beginning before you can be happy with the end result! This also means that if you are not happy, it can be amended before you move on to getting the next part done and avoids an awful fright at the end when your entire face has been made up (it does happen all the time!) An understanding stylist will do this for you if you ask them.

- TALK to your stylist. Be honest if you really dislike something. And be persistent. The makeup trial is for you and you should get what you want. If the makeup artist is too pushy, find someone else who can communicate better with you.

- look at the end result in different mirrors, in different lighting if this is possible. Play around with your hair and/or clothes to simulate how you might look on your wedding day. This can really help to bring the entire look together and helps the makeup to look more 'in place'. This applies especially if you are uncomfortable with the amount of makeup you have on. If it doesn't help changing your hair and you still feel uncomfortable, ask the stylist to change it. Also, if you are having your trial during the day (recommended if possible) look at it in natural light!

- he/she should be more than happy to make changes, try different colours etc. This is what a trial is for! If your stylist has to rush off, will they also need to rush off on your wedding day?

- it may be a good idea to search for someone who books only one wedding per day, so there is less risk of them being late from a previous job, or having to rush off early for the next one, as wedding days can run over time...

* AFTER the trial...

- take a photo, with a flash is recommended, as some foundations react with camera flash and can leave you with a ghostly appearance. If you look ghostly in your photo, you may want to have more trials with other stylists.

- of you do book someone, advise them of any changes ie colour schemes, you decided to have that spray tan etc, as some stylists are less flexible than others with surprise changes on the day!

I hope this helps you girls, as I hear so many daunting "bad trial" stories!

Warm Regards

Cassandra Ferguson

#20 nephthys

nephthys

Nothing worth having is easy.

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:53 PM

Hi

Just thought I'd let you know I'm doing my own makeup because I got sick of make-up artists making me look like a drag queen on speed. Ive been doing my own make up for years and I know what works and what doesn't. Plus it's going to save money. I'm also going to practice on the girls and do their's as well. Plus it gives us lots of excuses for girly nights. smile.gif

I also agree with Cassrae where she mentions your make-up shows differently in photos so take lots of them from different angles and with different lighting.
{Insert witty line/ticker/photo here}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users