16 replies to this topic

#16 nephthys

nephthys

Nothing worth having is easy.

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Are you talking about religion-bashing or Christianity-bashing? I see a hell of a lot of the latter but I know there is a lot of the former, too.

I'm a practicing Christian and am very tolerant to others' faith, or lack thereof. I make friends on how people treat me and others, not their faith, gender, sexual orientation, colour, creed, etc, etc. I will agree that there are many religious (and non-religious) people who aren't and I think they're missing out on some really great relationships as a consequence.

There is often a clash between science and faith because faith is not quantifiable. It cannot be touched nor explained with some methodology which makes it very hard for some people to accept. I believe that faith and science can work together. I'm highly educated, logical and a realist and yet I can still ascribe to a belief system, and so can hundreds of other people I know. Whilst this may appear contradictory, it is a personal choice that works for me and doesn't impinge on anyone else.

I have corrected a number of people who blame religion for heinous acts. A religion is inanimate; it's a collection of doctrine and beliefs. Blaming religion for something is no different to blaming a book sitting on a shelf. It is people who do the crimes. Heinous acts are conducted by by humans purposely distorting the message of a religion as an excuse push a personal agenda. I've studied many religions and I can't name any that truly advocate for terror, murder, land acquisition, wealth acquisition, etc. It's only when people want justification to cause harm that they cherry pick sections that support their agenda and off they go.

I will never push my beliefs on another but will happily answer any questions. Because I also have the history background to apply to religion as well, this makes me even more objective.
{Insert witty line/ticker/photo here}

#17 flowerrose

flowerrose

Part of the Furniture

• ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(nephthys @ Dec 9 2013, 06:35 PM) View Post

Are you talking about religion-bashing or Christianity-bashing? I see a hell of a lot of the latter but I know there is a lot of the former, too.

[snip]

I have corrected a number of people who blame religion for heinous acts.

I'm talking about Christian bashing in particular. In my newsfeeds, at least, Christianity seems exempt from normal rules of religious/cultural tolerance and pluralism. I frequently see idiotic memes, shared without thought portraying all Christians as imbeciles and/or rabid homophobes, etc. The Bible is misquoted or taken entirely out of context and views expressed 40 years ago by a tiny, splinter evangelist movement in America are droned out as representative of all Christian thinking, basically inviting it's subscribers and readers to make a mockery of them. No thought or consideration is given to denomination, era, etc. it makes me furious and I'm not a Christian!
Exactly Nep, because Scientist (who the groups '*^%$ing love') are responsible for the Atom bomb, chemical and biological weapons...in fact all armoury that has removed warfare from the sport of Kings....but we're intelligent enough to separate that out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users