#1 TheWeapon

TheWeapon

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hi Ladies

For years I've been hearing about kale and how good it is for you and if cooked correctly can be very tasty. I've found a greengrocer that stocks kale and am keen to try it. So, my questions are, what does it taste like? Is it like spinach or other types of greens? And what is the best way to cook it?

Any knowledge would be appreciated smile.gif

Liesl
IPB Image

#2 lizzums

lizzums

Part of the Furniture

• ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

I blame Vik for my addiction to having my Kale this way...
- Kale chips - dry them out and cover them in olive oli and nutritional yeast (a cheese flavoured powder) and then cook them slowly in the oven. Crispy and delicious and a lot less expensive than buying them at the shops,

I have tried Kale in my smoothies but the flavour is a bit strong so I stick with the chips.
Have however had Kale in a salad with fruit and coconut but for the life of me can not find the link for it.

#3 Avery

Avery

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

We love Kale chips!

I dont use the yeast - just olive oil and sea salt. Take them out when they are starting to crisp but parts are still a little "under done" - those bits are chewy and YUM!
"It's impossible" said pride.
"It's risky" said experience.
"It's pointless" said reason.
"Give it a try" whispered the heart...

#4 Maxi

Maxi

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

I use coconut oil to make kale chips.
IPB Image

#5 Guest_Windsor_Guest

Guest_Windsor_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Mmmmm kale. In season down here atm and big bunches at the markets for $2.99.

I do kale chips with olive oil, salt and pepper.

I use it in things like spag bol, beans and rice etc. like I would use English spinach.

I do it shredded in salads too, like in the Asian noodle salad on the back of the Changs fried noodles packets

My absolute fave is breaded kale. Don't have a recipe to hand but it's basically chopped kale sauteed with minced garlic in olive oil and a little stock and then thrown in some breadcrumbs and cracked pepper to taste. If you want you can sprinkle on some parmesan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users