5 replies to this topic

#1 la_jeune_mariée

la_jeune_mariée

Turning paychecks into wine.

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

It's been a long time since I was last a bridesmaid and I have NO idea what to get the bride for her engagement party. I want it to be something special. The party itself is low key, no mention of presents on the invite. She's very creative. The sort of girly girl who goes to hard core gigs in a vintage prom dress. Quite trendy. Slightly hipster. A bit younger than me but we've known each other coming up 20 years. Money isn't an issue so I'm happy to spend a bit. I want something a bit different and special.

Ideas?
"The less justified a man is in claiming excellence for his own self, the more ready he is to claim excellence for his nation, his religion, his race or his holy cause." - Eric Hoffer

#2 Porthos

Porthos

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

I have no idea what to get a trendy hipster because I'm so far from that it's not funny tongue.gif

BUT when I have been a BM in the recent past I have bought vintage bottles of champagne for the engaged couple. For my bestie, I bought the bottle from the year we met and became friends (1999). For my sister I bought the bottle from the year she and her fiance started dating (2001). It wasn't a cheap present by any means and it had sentimental value as well. I attached cards that said "to be opened on your wedding night...or your first night in your new house...or the first night you bring your future child home...choose a special occasion and celebrate on us" (or something to that effect anyways wink.gif ).

Both times, it was a very appreciated gift smile.gif

#3 Daybreak

Daybreak

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

The one time I was a BM, I really wanted a gift that both members of the couple would like (hard!) In hindsight, I'm not thrilled with what I gave them for their engagement - Le Creuset french oven, herb seedlings and book on growing and cooking herbs. For their wedding though, I got them a port barrel and glasses, as they like to drink port together in the evenings.
What about a vintage crockery set (Royal Doulton or similar)?
<center>Katie and Andrew
Engaged ~ December 25, 2008
Married ~ April 13, 2011
Lightbulb ~ Due September 22, 2014

When I am grown up I will understand how beautiful it feels to administrate my life effectively.
Until then I will continue to torch all correspondence that bores me and to dance naked over the remnants of its still glowing embers.
~ Edward Monkton

<a href=http://sewcooklaugh.blogspot.com/ target=blank><font color=blue><b>My Blog</b></font></a>
<a href=http://sewcooklaughtravel.blogspot.com/ target=blank><font color=blue>Travel Blog
</font></a> <a href=http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7501930 target=blank><font color=#FF6600>Etsy shop
</font></a>
</center>

#4 Kookies

Kookies

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Since I am the opposite of hipster (best described as daggy old fart) I am not sure I can offer any relevant advice. For engagements of dear friends our go to gift is a beautiful silver cake knife (if we know they don't already have one). The idea is that they can use it to cut their celebration cakes. For my best friend and for DHs we stole the knives back and had them engraved with their respective wedding dates once these were set. In a few weeks I will be raiding my best friend's house again to find the knife so I can have her daughter's christening date added to the knife.

We were given one by my mum and dad when we were first engaged and it now has the dates of our wedding and both our children's christenings (you could also do 1st birthdays if not religious). We absolutely love it and use it for all special celebrations.

#5 JuraPatti

JuraPatti

• New User
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hey guys my parents are wondering what to buy for somebodys engagement party since they have never been to one before. Sadly they can't make it to this one either but are thinking of buying a nice gift.
What to you normally give when you can't make it to an engagement party?

#6 simonjames

simonjames

• New User
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

If you understand where the joyous twosome contacted, personalize this print with their story, titles and marriage designated day in a variety of colors and fonts. Then take it to your localized border shop to get it matted and framed for a really special gift.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users