• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Little L

Little L

• New User
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Has any one done their own flowers for their wedding? If so how much did you do? ie) just the bouquets or tables or buttonholes or everything!

If you have done them....
Was it hard? What advice would you give to some one who is thinking of doing their flowers themselves? Would you do it again? What do you wish you'd known before you started? What was the most rewarding part?

If you are thinking about doing them.....
I'd love to know what your plan of attack is! What are you most looking forward to and what are your biggest concerns.

I am thinking about doing an online wedding flower course so that I can learn some basic techniques etc as well as the best way to look after them etc. I'm not one to get stressed easily and I enjoy being creative. I'd love to know your opinion!
Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

#2 Guest_Windsor_Guest

Guest_Windsor_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I thought about it but ended up going with an online florist as flowers weren't a huge deal to me so didn't worry too much about them not being 'right'.

I did go to the flower markets and buy some samples to see how much and how hard what I wanted would be and decided after that to just pay someone else rather than spending the day before making bouquets and buttonholes.

The buttonholes weren't too hard though. I've seen bridesmaids carrying single flowers or a few long stemmed ones tied with a ribbon and if that was what I was after I might have gone with DIY but I was doing proper bouquets.

We did do our own table decorations though, that was the responsibility of DH, his groomsmen and SIL on the morning of the wedding, after their buttonholes were delivered. Was just candleabras and candles to put out on the tables and rose petals to scatter. No more than $15 per table all up I reckon and they looked great!

#3 StaceyR

StaceyR

• frequent poster
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

That's a wonderful idea! I don't know anyone who done this before but I wish you luck!

#4 Princess L

Princess L

• New User
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

I did my own flowers for my wedding last week and it was not nearly as hard as I thought. I sure was messy though! I went to the markets early Thursday morning (for Friday night wedding) and spent just under $500 on 60 bunches of flowers, floristry scissors, tape, and a few other bits and pieces. I had eleven different types of flowers because I was going for a yellow theme rather than wanting a specific type of flower so I was happy to go to the markets and buy whatever was there that fit my theme (I also got some white flowers and some greenery).

First I stripped off all the leaves, this was the most time consuming task, it took around two hours.

I next did my husband's buttonhole - a leave with two small buds - I didn't like the first one so I ditched it and gave it another go.

I wanted to do my bouquet next to use the best of the flowers so I youtubed a short tutorial, mainly to know how to hold it all together and make it look good, then started. The bouquet took way more flowers than I thought it would so I am glad it worked the first time or I would have had a lot of wastage! The trick is to use florist's tape every 8 or 10 stems or so to secure it all together. The hardest part was not squashing the middle flowers too much. All in all I was really happy with it - I didn't want a perfect round ball look which would have been much more difficult so for what I wanted I was happy. I finished it with ribbon and a brooch and then left it in a vase of water overnight. It lasted the wedding day and a few days after.

The flowers for the tables were easy. I had 50 assorted jars which I put about an inch of water in, and then just trimmed the stems to the heights I needed and popped one each of four or five different types of flowers in each jar. I was happy with a really casual eclectic look and it was really easy to achieve.

From markets to finish it took me most of the day but that included a lot of cleaning up. I kept them cool in tubs in my bathroom overnight and took them to the venue the next morning and they still looked great by the reception that night - maybe even better as overnight the flowers opened up and filled out a little more.

I recommend it if you have a day to spare, don't get stressed too easily and a good sense of design!

#5 Rosella Floral Designs

Rosella Floral Designs

• New User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

With all the other things brides need to plan and worry about in the lead up to the big day and to truly enjoy yourself on one of the biggest days of your life, it's generally best to seek the services of a florist (especially for bouquets and buttonholes), as flowers need to be handled with care in order to ensure they last throughout the day and looking stunning in photos.

In extremely hot or cold weather, the complications involved in real flowers is heightened, and florists are trained to know how to address these complications.

#6 christinaroberts

christinaroberts

• New User
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

If you are planning for DIY flowers then it's a great idea as it will give a personal touch to your wedding. I am planning on making wedding bouquet on my own. I will use silk flowers to give them a real like look. I think it's not so hard to make your own flower bouquet.

Glorious wedding cards designs

#7 Piper

Piper

• New User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I am doing my own flowers. It should not be too hard to do as I feel that I have enough craft experience.

#8 cbear1

cbear1

• New User
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:06 AM

I did my own flowers at my wedding in Tasmania in March!
It wasn't hard, I would do it again, and the most rewarding part was knowing that those beautiful bouquets were hand made!
Firstly I prepared by buying green florist tape, and just practicing arranging supermarket flowers into bouquets and buttonholes from online tutorials. I probably did this maybe 3-4 times in the few months before the wedding. I found a great wholesale florist in Launceston who were really easy to work with, I ordered all my flowers in advance and had advice from them about what was in season and cheap etc. Altogether I think it was about $150. I picked them up a few days from the wedding. I had about 50/50 foliage to flowers.
The plan went slightly off when the night before the wedding when I had planned to do my flowers, we had a but of a merry night and were having too much fun/wine to do them! So we got up early the next day. My ceremony was at 4pm and after breakfast we started on flowers, about 9.45am. I felt a bit rushed so suggest you make time the day before! BasicallyI got each of my bridesmaids to make their own bouquet. I guided them through it all: "OK start with this flower, now we are going to cross this one like so..." It was very easy, and just ended up being a really nice session with my girls and the Mums. They all turned out beautifully as well, and it quickly went from being a lesson to just being general flower arranging, none of them had done it before but it didn't matter, and they were proud of what they created! Of course the style was rustic and natural so that helped!
Then to finish up we had squares of burlap to go over the florist tape, held down with glue dots. Then ribbon in a bow around each one if different colours. We had to cut all the stems down with a massive pair of garden loppers! Then I did 6 buttonholes with help from the bridesmaids and all up it took about 1.5 hours or so. The rest of the flowers were done by the venue or my Mum who had loads of rose petals to use.
I am so pleased we did it ourselves and so impressed with how they all turned out with little to no direction lol

#9 SoniaFielders

SoniaFielders

• New User
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

I am thinking of making my friend's bouquet on her upcoming wedding but we can't decide what flowers we can use. Her wedding theme is vintage and we are thinking of using ivory and white flowers for her bouquet. I find a good inspiration on Pinterest but it looks so expensive.

< link removed >

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users