36 replies to this topic

#31 mango

mango

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Oh dam Thelma I tried putting this on earlier and my dam phone made me Bugger up. I just checked the mix and it looked wrong so checked what you wrote. My phone split the 1 1/3 cup milk powder and I only saw 1/3. I thought it seemed to little but figured you knew what you were doing. sad.gif looks like I will try again over night.

#32 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

ah no! Sorry, should have put an 'and' in between. Oops, and I just read my last post and when I wrote half of 1/3 cup I forgot to write 'sugar' after that. Hope the next batch works out ok

#33 Porthos

Porthos

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

We go through an insane amoutn of yoghurt in this house, being that it is one food all three kids eat. How much is an Easiyo Thelma? Perhaps it is time to invest?! smile.gif

#34 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

You can get them at most supermarkets or I'm pretty sure Big W etc have them and they're about $20.

#35 mango

mango

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Ok round 2 is on. I only just had enough milk powder left.
Do you buy a particular brand of milk powder, or is homebrand fine? Do you find you ever have to completely restart or is it fine to just keep going from yoghurt of previous batches?

Porthos, They are normally in the dessert isle in the supermarkets (ie. Where icecream topping, jelly, steamed puddings are. Which is usually where can fruit is too). Yeh and I think only about $20 so really not much at all. I have seen them in bigw too. Up near where they have all their lollies and cans of soft drinks. Near where soda stream usually is.

#36 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(Jazy84 @ Apr 3 2013, 09:13 AM) View Post

Ok round 2 is on. I only just had enough milk powder left.
Do you buy a particular brand of milk powder, or is homebrand fine? Do you find you ever have to completely restart or is it fine to just keep going from yoghurt of previous batches?

I only buy homebrand or Aldi milk powder. You can't use skim though because it won't set. You could always use fresh milk too.
Every now and then I find I need to completely restart and use an actual easiyo sachet. But I'll usually go for ages just using the yoghurt from previous batches. I usually just keep an eye out for when the easiyo sachets are on sale and grab a couple and do a 'fresh' batch

#37 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

All this talk of food and groceries has made me think it's time for an update!

I am really pleased with how we are going. We started getting bread and milk delivered from Aussie Farmers Direct a few months ago and honestly, it's saved us the most money by far of all the things we've tried, like meal planning, online shopping, buying cheap meat, etc. Basically, we get 3 x loaves of bread and 6 litres of milk delivered over the week, along with 3 or 4 lots of meat, depending on the fortnight. This comes twice weekly so we've always got something fresh. I find I am hardly ever going to the supermarket except for staples (which we generally get delivered as well through online shopping) so it has essentially eliminated impulse buying and food wastage.

The delivery is $45 a week, which means each individual item isn't super cheap, but not super expensive either. The prices are about what you would pay for branded items in Woolworths or Coles. We then spend about $20 per week at our F&V shop, and another $20 or less at the butcher or supermarket for extra proteins to fill out the days per week we don't get meat delivered. It is trickier to estimate how much we spend on staples and treats, but I generally go to Aldi or the markets for that so I know we're getting good value for money.
Piper 08/12/12
Scooby 08/04/13
Playing together on Rainbow Bridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users