5 replies to this topic

#1 chelley

chelley

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have decided that I need to have my blog professionally overhauled. I have managed to get some freelance writing jobs which will hopefully bring more traffic to my blog.

I am hoping to do more work and make my blog profitable now Raffie's health issues will make working for our family a little trickier.

Anyone who has used a blog design service, or who is in the industry who can give me some tips on what to look for and rough price guides.

I also need to get my own domain name but am not sure about which blog hosting site to choose.

Any tips appreciated.
IPB Image

Check out my blog at www.geeyourebrave.com

#2 la_jeune_mariée

la_jeune_mariée

Turning paychecks into wine.

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I use Wix.com (free or $150 if you need a store) to create my sites (they have a bunch of templates which are very user friendly) and I host through godaddy.com ($13 odd dollars assuming the domain is available). If you get the Wix pro pack they'll buy and host a domain on your behalf. Pics I pull from Shutterstock or Getty (budget approx $200). I usually pull together a mood board first using Powerpoint or Keynote. Most web designers will do the same but will charge you for their time. I've found Godaddy pretty reliable and their verification process works pretty seamlessly with Google Business and Wix though some people don't use them as the founder is apparently a morality free zone.
"The less justified a man is in claiming excellence for his own self, the more ready he is to claim excellence for his nation, his religion, his race or his holy cause." - Eric Hoffer

#3 em2007

em2007

chocoholic

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Are wix sites still not compatible with iPads and iPhones? That would put me off. I made a website with them last year for Uni, but I found it quite slow to load on slower networks (was useless on a school network!).

Are you a member of digital parents? That would be my starting point.

#4 la_jeune_mariée

la_jeune_mariée

Turning paychecks into wine.

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(~Melissa~ @ Nov 27 2012, 07:24 PM) View Post

Are wix sites still not compatible with iPads and iPhones? That would put me off. I made a website with them last year for Uni, but I found it quite slow to load on slower networks (was useless on a school network!).

Are you a member of digital parents? That would be my starting point.

They're compatible now.
"The less justified a man is in claiming excellence for his own self, the more ready he is to claim excellence for his nation, his religion, his race or his holy cause." - Eric Hoffer

#5 chelley

chelley

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Thanks girls. Have signed up to Digital Parents Melissa.

LJM have gone to have a look at that site. Think I need someone who can do it for me because I am not very techy.
IPB Image

Check out my blog at www.geeyourebrave.com

#6 Lemon

Lemon

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

DH is a web designer and I just asked him your questions smile.gif He says:

own domain name

I would happily recommend Netregistry who have well priced domain names and easy purchasing/admin. They may not be the cheapest but that extra dollar or two will buy you better support if/when you need it.

blog hosting site

I've used a few of the blog hosts but these days all hosting companies support blogs. Netregistry have cheap hosting and have a wizard that will install wordpress for you in 5 minutes with no hassles. Ausweb is another host who have the same setup but are just slightly more expensive.

overhaul of the blog

If there's existing content there may be some time in transferring the old site to the new environment, testing it all and applying a theme and/or designing it. if you're already using wordpress it should be relatively easy to download a backup, upload it, modify it and get it up and running. You'll need to decide what's going to happen to the old site, wether you keep it up and direct it to the new blog or if you put in a redirect so visitors automatically get sent there - although some hosting/blog setups don't allow that.

The most efficient way to get it running is to buy a theme and then customise it to how you want. I reckon all up it would probably be 4-5 hours work.

I know he charges about $50 an hour for his freelance work, so assuming his estimate of 4-5 hours work is average, a rough price would be about $250.00 plus your hosting costs and domain costs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users