Jump to content


Seeking advice for a friend

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anon for a friend

anon for a friend


  • New User
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to be a pain and go anon but I am doing this for my own protection as well as that of my friend.

The long and short of the situation is:

My brother is in huge amounts of debt and is in trouble with the law for scamming someone for her superannuation money

My brother's partner, L (my friend who I am trying to help), has alot of equity tied up in the house they bought together several years ago (the rest of the money was borrowed from the bank).

L believes my brother may have gambling debts that he is hiding from her, she also suspects that he might be using drugs sad.gif and could be in debt that way too. She is pretty sure he has also racked up massive mobile phone bills that he is hiding.

They are way behind in their mortgage repayments, my brother hides bank/mortgage statements or has them posted to a PO Box which L isn't supposed to know of and doesn't have access to.

She has already been to an appointment with the Citizens' Advice Bureau who basically told her to go see a lawyer and get the house on the market and try to get what she can back. Problem with that is, the mortgage is jointly in her name and my brother's so she is equally responsible for ensuring the mortgage is paid out. Once that is done, she would still be in financial ruin because my brother owes her ALOT of money that she lent to him to bail him out of trouble.

That is just the beginning of it, I probably don't need to go into further details.

What I am trying to find out is what kind of legal protection and rights my friend L has and who she can turn to for help?

My brother could be going to jail by the end of the year for all the strife he is in and I just fear that L is playing the victim, sitting on her hands and doing nothing instead of helping herself, just because she got knocked back once for help when she went to the Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a person or an organization that can help her? She lives in Qld, that is all I can tell you.

Thanks in advance,

Anon for a friend

#2 beachgurl


    Part of the Furniture

  • avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

Not sure if she will have any chance of recouping any funds as her partner owes money and the first place the debt collectors would go to is to any asset he owns. Unless they had a contract signed at the time of purchase stating her contribution to the property purchase and that it remains hers she's lost that equity.

If I were her, firstly I'd be onto the bank asking for statements. Each owner has the right to receive statements and the other person doesn't need to know. Or get herself Internet banking so there is no fear of him finding out she is "checking up on him" and the ramifications of that. Gamblers r generally very sneaky and paranoid and some can get abusive when they r found out.

Also if she is aware of any of his dealings even if she is not involved she could be an accessory.

Sounds like terrible situation but for herself to move forward she needs to get her head out of the sand and get help. If there is any inkling of violence she may be able to get some pro bono legal assistance. I expect that money issues is the big reason for not seeking legal help.

#3 chelley


    Part of the Furniture

  • avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

What a horrendous situation for your friend and also your brother.

How is your family supporting your brother? Has he been referred off to some counselling so this doesn't continue between now and the end of the year. What legal advice is he getting?

I agree she needs to start to take responsibility as her name is on the mortgage and the bank will come looking for her if your brother can't pay his share. She is entitled to her own statements too.

There are many large firms which will do an initial consult for free and at least give her an idea of her chances. Many of these firms you don't pay if you don't win so they will at least be able to give her some initial advice. Offer to go with her if that helps.
IPB Image

Check out my blog at www.geeyourebrave.com

#4 Puggie


    Part of the Furniture

  • ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,808 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

These might be good starting points?

Financial First Aid
Financial Counselling Line
1800 007 007
This line is currently open from 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday

Salvation Army Moneycare Financial Counselling
3222 6621

The Office for Women offers a free online and telephone referral service for Queensland women and girls. Phone Women's Infolink on 1800 177 577, Monday to Friday, 8.00 am - 6.00 pm or visit www.women.qld.gov.au

#5 StaceyR



  • frequent poster
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

Wow this is a horrible situation to be in. Wish you luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users