#16 aChocLover

aChocLover

formerly known as AuChocolat

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Oh Nephthys sad.gif

Have no real advice - my DD2 only stopped waking in the middle of the night at ~ 5yo. It was glorious when she turned that corner... wacko.gif

Hope reducing the day sleep isn't causing you too much pain - I'm not sure what's worse, problematic sleeping at night, or no downtime during the day. xx

#17 tastebud

tastebud

Life In Colour

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

It's rough isn't it?

Both of my elder children dropped their day sleep at 2-2.5yo. Bang on when the newborn arrived blergh rolleyes.gif

I rely (relied) heavily on their sleep times too and am not ready and, you guessed it - I do not cope!

What's working (some of the time) for my daughter (who is a couple of months younger than your son) is restricting her daytime sleep to 20-40 minutes. She will not go down happily during the day so I have to make sure I am in the car after lunch-ish so she drops off and I can transfer her.

If she doesn't get this 'bridging nap' she is feral come 4pm. If she sleeps longer than this then she won't go to bed at night. She is a blue print of my eldest when he was the same age.

At night time, we wind her down with some ITNG and bedtime book and song. All standard, but then we turn the electricity off down her end of the house so she can't flick the lights / fans on and play. She also cannot get out of her room as the door handle is too high. Once we have kissed and cuddled good night, we do not return UNLESS SHE IS INJURED.

As for housework, I have a cleaner once a fortnight but the house is still a sh!thole. I only manage to do the morning dishwasher maybe two days a week. Usually it waits till the night. Brushing my teeth or feeding myself takes precedence! Of course someone has to do the cooking, washing etc . Cleaning while having children at home is like trying to plough snow while it's still snowing. Pure torture! Keeping my expectations and standards very very low and remembering it's *temporary* helps. Sometimes!

I wouldn't cope working from home & / or running a business while I had even one child at home so I would never attempt it with 3! I've always considered it impossible to do and up there with single-parenting in the tough stakes. Parenting even one small child is a full time, legitimate job of and in itself enough for me.

I have friends whose children dropped their day sleep by 2yo and even then only slept 9-10 hours a night. It's hard yakka for the parents but just like some adults, some kids don't need a whole lotta sleep.

This is all I've got HTH x

ETA I understand it is often necessary to work from home I'm just not sure how I'd do it and am very confident it would drive me to the edge!
<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...ettefamily.swf" FlashVars="t1=forever grateful&pv1=1&pn1=33&px1=239.55&pf1=0&pv2=1&pn2=12&px2=206.8&pf2=1&pv3=0&pn3=27&px3=305.85&pf3=1&pv4=0&pn4=24&px4=154.8&pf4=0&pv5=1&pn5=3&px5=304.8&pf5=0&pv6=1&pn6=27&px6=274.8&pf6=0&pv7=0&pn7=24&px7=365.8&pf7=1" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="500" height="230" name="My Family Silhouettes" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a href="http://www.widdlytin...ytinks.com/">My Family from WiddlyTinks.com</a></center>
G & K 13.10.06

G 22.06.07 H 10.07.09 F 02.12.11

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings.
Hodding Carter, Junior

#18 nephthys

nephthys

Nothing worth having is easy.

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the honest responses!

Tastebud - I'm hearing you on how hard it is to cope without that day sleep. The all day intensity knocks you about. Unfortunately we need me to earn money so the home business is the best way to juggle both worlds. I'll make it work. smile.gif

Woodland - Two weeks ago DS1 started transitioning by himself. He didn't sleep at all for nine days straight and was having complete meltdowns by the end (as was I!). Then after a horrid playgroup session last week, he slept for 3.5 hours after it and I ended up waking him up at 4:45pm. Then, in the last week, he's had a few day sleeps and has been much more settled. I've spoken to other mums who've said their children weaned slowly, too. So there are some good days and some seriously disgusting ones.

On the upside, this has meant he crashes very quickly at night and is now sleeping through till 5am where he gets some milk and then stays in his room till 6am. It's still only 10-hours but it's so lovely knowing that when he goes down, that's it for the day.

Great thing is that DS2 is almost a complete replica...

Oh well, they'll sleep when they're teenagers! wacko.gif
{Insert witty line/ticker/photo here}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users