#31 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(Jaydee @ Nov 22 2011, 01:07 PM) View Post

DH has just heard of them, and now wants one to grind flour, make smoothies and bread, etc etc.

I'm not convinced...the man was after a pasta maker for AGES, I bought him one, he used it once and it's been in the cupboard ever since. I don't want to spend all that money on TM for it to have a similar fate laugh.gif

I was talking to my Mum about this the other day and asked her if she used it every day. She says she does, and the reason why is because she finds reasons to use it. It always stays on top of her bench and she'll always do something with it, even just to chop the onion or something.

I was a sceptic at first, but after seeing a few people in my family with theirs and how much use they do get out of it, how much they love it, and how much easier it does make things, I'm convinced. Now I just need to convince DH. I said to him that he gets to buy tools to make his working life easier, so I should be able to buy tools to make mine easier!

#32 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

just wondering how you're going with your thermochef maxi?

#33 Maxi

Maxi

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

I LOVE IT! wub.gif (So does my husband. wink.gif )

This weekend I made:

Capsicum jam
Bacon jam
Poached eggs
Salted caramel ice cream
Zucchini slice.

I've also made risottos, steamed veges, sorbet, steamed chicken with caramelised onions, a divine kumara and potato mash, boiled eggs, almond and rosemary crackers (gluten free), and I can't remember what else!

Tonight I think I'll be making a carbonara.

I love how it pretty much self cleans - HUGE bonus for me.
IPB Image

#34 Kookies

Kookies

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Ali has your TMX arrived yet?

I am also giving mine a big workout. Lots of baby food at the moment since my son has started solids. Also, trying out a range of the "one pot" meals that you find on the net. I've done a few variations on Baf's Chicken (basically a steamed chicken, veggie, potato and sauce meal that you cook entirely in the TMX). Steamed fish has also been a staple which is nice as I am always trying to get us eating more fish. The bolognese is fantastic, especially as the chopping means you can really hide a lot of veggies in there if you have a fussy veggie eater. Cheats mango ice cream was a huge hit here and the Torte Caprese in the Everyday Cookbook is delicious - perfect cake to take somewhere as it is a bit special.

We should start a TM/TC recipe thread since there are a few of us here now who have them. I am guessing it should be pretty easy to convert recipes between the two types of machines although I am not familiar with the way the TC actually works so I could be wrong!

#35 Maxi

Maxi

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

I'm looking forward to steaming fish too Kookies. I haven't tried it yet as I'm not a huge fish fan so want to try a softer (less fishy!) tasting fish. The Torte Caprese sounds divine! I think I'll have to investigate Baf's Chicken - thanks for the inspiration. smile.gif

A new thread sounds like a great idea!

I was sent a TC recipe update by in PDF form today and can send it to you if you're interested?

I'm pilfering a lot of TM recipes and converting them. It's pretty easy to do (so far!).
IPB Image

#36 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(Kookies @ Dec 12 2011, 12:04 PM) View Post

Ali has your TMX arrived yet?

Not yet sad.gif The order was placed 1st December cause I wanted the December bonus cookbook, and then Mum said delivery is taking ages at the moment cause of Christmas. Normally would take 5 days from order but is about 2 weeks at the moment! Oh well, I've waited this long, so what a bit longer hey!

Maxi, so glad you're loving it biggrin.gif

We should definitely start a new thread. I'm subsribed to a few different facebook pages which post recipes. This is my favourite

#37 Maxi

Maxi

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

Yay! That's great you've bought one AliRo! At least you can use this time to suss out recipes you want to try so you're all ready for when it arrives (plus make room in your freezer.

That is a handy facebook page. She has her own blog/website too, which is full of ideas. She's very passionate about TMs! This is a great resource also.
IPB Image

#38 sarahtatecaeleb

sarahtatecaeleb

• New User
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(Maxi @ Dec 12 2011, 12:22 PM) View Post

Yay! That's great you've bought one AliRo! At least you can use this time to suss out recipes you want to try so you're all ready for when it arrives (plus make room in your freezer.

That is a handy facebook page. She has her own blog/website too, which is full of ideas. She's very passionate about TMs! This is a great resource also.

Hi Maxi

I am tossing up between a thermomix and a thermochef. I've been to two demos with a themomix and although I thought they were fabulous, my husband can't justify the price of them. Especially since you can buy them in europe for $900 AUD. It's really a little insulting for Australian customers. Since I'm a stay at home Mum and we're on a single income, I'm really not in a position to argue with him. wink.gif

Anyway. One of the things I wanted to ask you about the thermochef is regarding it not having a reverse button. I read somewhere that when you don't want things chopped up, you put the butterfly attachment in and put it on speed one to stir. Is this true? I like the price tag much better, but not if it means that all my food is going to be chopped into little pieces. For instance, if I was going to make a pasta dish, I'd want my pasta to stay in whole pieces.

I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

Sarah. smile.gif

Sorry... just thought of one more question.

I read an online review about soups etc having to cool down to below 60 degrees before you can blend them. Is this at certain speeds only, or all speeds? So, if I make mashed potato, does that have to cool down too?

Thanks again in advance.

Sarah. smile.gif

#39 Maxi

Maxi

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hi Sarah

They're the exact two questions I asked at the Thermochef demo, so we must have been reading the same page (which I think is also mentioned in this thread).

Inserting the butterfly blade essentially does the same as reverse. The butterfly makes it act more like a spoon, than a knife (so it mixes, rather than chops).

As regards the temperature and having to let it cool down, that's not the case either. I wouldn't have bought it if that were true, as I found that a pain with my current food processor (especially when making soups). You wouldn't need it on the highest setting to puree (there are 10 settings with a Thermochef), probably on about 6 or so.

M@tchbox have demos regularly. Details are on their website, so it may be worth having a look there too? Otherwise I'm happy to answer any questions. biggrin.gif
IPB Image

#40 Kookies

Kookies

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Two more easy, one pot meals that I've tried of late are:

Carbonara. I did the low fat version using light evaporated milk instead of cream - instructions are down on the thread.

Pizza Risotto... yum, yum, yum. I used ham instead of salami as that's what I had.

Any other easy child friendly meal ideas?

#41 Camilla

Camilla

Roar!

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(bellarosa @ Jul 29 2011, 05:07 PM) View Post

Camilla, what does your sister grind her flour of out? I wonder how much cheaper it would be than flour from the shops?

I am sorry I missed this. My sister buys organic whole grains either from a coop somewhere or her health food shop. She is very dedicated to organic food and finds it cheaper to do it this way.
Camilla
C&S 02-11-2002
DS 23-04-2007
DD 09-11-2009

(Angel Baby - Ectopic - 19th December 2005)
(CP - 19th August 2008)

#42 flowerrose

flowerrose

Part of the Furniture

• ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Just reviving this thread to see if there is any further feedback.

I went to a second demo a couple of months ago and the demonstrator used her machine in a totally different way - producing some awesome results.

I am big into the home cooking and baking and would love us to go further down the chemical free line. I spent 25 minutes grinding chickpea meal in the magi-mix for a soup thickener recently, which is ridiculous! I have various gadgets, which are all well used and slowly dying - save my magi-mix which our asshole house-sitters dropped and broke (that's a story for the sauna). Now I'm considering replacing them all with a TMX one next time it comes up interest free.

I'd love some feedback from owners before I commit.

#43 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

well, I have one and totally love it. My Mum is a demonstrater. My sister and SIL have one also and my other SIL just ordered hers. And countless of my Mum's friends now have one too.

It's not for everyone, but by the sounds of it, it would be good for you. It's very rare to find someone who isn't happy with it.

I've just finished making a new batch of my own vegetable stock concentrate, have got my focaccia bread in the oven that it kneaded up not long ago, and about to put some potato soup on. Also planning on making some risotto tonight to fry up into patties to take to a 'bring a plate' function tomorrow. I use it at least once, if not several times a day for various things. I don't often cook one pot type things in it, more just for aiding in making an element for a dish,

Check out a blog called 'Quirky Cooking' which I think you would love. She's a very healthful, from scratch cook and has lots of thermomix recipes.

If you have any questions about it, just ask and I'm happy to answer.

#44 flowerrose

flowerrose

Part of the Furniture

• ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thanks. Can I tell you my fantasy about them and you can tell me if this is realistic?

- I make all our bread, pizza dough and foccacia, etc. My kitchenaid is hopeless as it just climbs up the dough hook so I use a bread maker (which is on its last legs) up to the dough stage, before transferring and baking in the oven. I find it turns out better that way - but the dough cycle takes well over an hour! I'm thinking a thermomix would be much faster and no additional work. I've seen it do lovely rolls but is it large enough to do a loaf?

- My kids all time favourite meal is lasagne. It's such a fag to make by hand, with all the stirring. Am I right in thinking I can throw together a b├ęchamel sauce without much input?

- We do desserts in our place. I'm already doing the berry sorbets and ice-cream from the demo in my magi-mix (admittedly it doesn't come up as smooth but no-one seems to mind). I'm thinking I could do custards, rice puddings, etc without too much hassle?

My plan is to keep the kitchenaid for meringues and other whisking requirements and ditch everything else in place of the thermomix. My only concern is it not having a grating function, which I use a lot. Is this an issue for you?

Also, should I keep my slow cooker? The more gadgets I get rid of the more likely DH is to go for it!

#45 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

bread. Yes. Admittedly I use my bread maker more often, but that's because we had that pre-thermomix and it's just as easy to do it in that. But I have done several dough mixes in the tmx which turned out great. And yes, can do a large loaf mix.

Lasagne. God Send! Bechamel in 7 minutes! Love it and done regularly in our house also.

Desserts. Definitely! It was one of the main reasons why we bought it. Custard gets made far too often in our household ph34r.gif It's great for a quick whip up if you have guests. I also like to freeze it in ice cube trays and then whiz up to make a quick ice cream. And banana and berry/mango/coconut sorbet features regularly.

Very true about the grating function, and I do still use my hand held grater for several things. But depending on what the dish is as to whether you really need that 'grated' texture or not, or whether the finely chopped texure does the job just fine.

I do also still have my hand held beaters for meringues etc but I don't really do meringues all that much anyway. If you got desperate the tmx can do it, but from what I've read, it takes some getting used to to get it absolutely right.

Slow cooker, I can't help with as I don't have one and we're a vegetarian household. But I've heard my Mum answer others at a demo about it, and she said the tmx isn't a substitute for a slow cooker because a slow cooker is designed to cook slowly and a tmx is designed to get things done quickly! What kind of stuff do you usually cook in the slow cooker? Just google whatever it is you cook and then add thermomix at the end and see what you find and how long it takes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users