233 replies to this topic

#16 Rosita

Rosita

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

My husband was going on bout a thermomix the other day, someone he knows has one and h thought they sounded great, even the price tag. He wasn't commited enough to sell his car to buy one though.
Is there any felicity in the world superior to this?

#17 Maxi

Maxi

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

I bought a Thermo Chef on Friday. They're $795, so significantly cheaper. I can't wait for it to arrive!
IPB Image

#18 jodie1980

jodie1980

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

I've just opened a savings account to save up for one. My aim is to have one by the time Bub 2 starts solids next year. The more I hear about them the more I want one. I was sooooo impressed at the demo.
<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...hdayticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=&t2=Ethan is&b=12&c=0x000000&f=31&y=2010&m=9&d=7" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a href="http://www.widdlytin....com/">Birthday Tickers from WiddlyTinks.com</a></center>

<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...hdayticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=&t2=Dylan is&b=10&c=0x000000&f=31&y=2012&m=3&d=15" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a href="http://www.widdlytin....com/">Birthday Tickers from WiddlyTinks.com</a></center>

#19 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(jodie1980 @ Nov 20 2011, 10:06 AM) View Post

I've just opened a savings account to save up for one. My aim is to have one by the time Bub 2 starts solids next year. The more I hear about them the more I want one. I was sooooo impressed at the demo.

they have 12 months interest free this month and next month. I think there's a couple of fees and works out about $150 more.

I think we're going to buy one soon. Just waiting for a month where they're offering a cookbook or something that I actually want. The more I'm at my Mum's and see her use hers the more and more I like it and want one. It's not for everyone, but I definitely think it's for us.

#20 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(Maxi @ Nov 20 2011, 09:58 AM) View Post

I bought a Thermo Chef on Friday. They're $795, so significantly cheaper. I can't wait for it to arrive!

Wow, I'd never heard of this! Just had a quick 5 minute look and it seems pretty good. Will do some more research this afternoon. Would love to know how you find yours when you get it. My Mum would kill me if I bought one though cause she's a thermomix consultant!

#21 aChocLover

aChocLover

formerly known as AuChocolat

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(Maxi @ Nov 20 2011, 09:58 AM) View Post

Maxi, would love to hear how it goes. smile.gif I saw the thermomix for the first time at the good food and wine show here in Brissie a few weeks ago ... I was pretty impressed but the cost has me gagging! The ThermoChef sounds like a good compromise!

#22 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

hmmm, after doing some reading I'm not so keen on the thermochef now. (sorry Maxi!) It would seem (like most things) that there is a reason for the price difference. This forum topic is quite interesting about the difference in the 2.

#23 aChocLover

aChocLover

formerly known as AuChocolat

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

AliRo, that's the first website I looked at when Maxi mentioned the ThermoChef! smile.gif
I think at the end of the day it comes down to what your lifestyle requires and can afford. I'd still like to see both in a demo and reevaluate how we currently live to determine which is the better fit smile.gif

But, I think regardless, Hubby will have a coronary if I even suggest one because my gorgeous must-have kitchenaid is under-utilised laugh.gif

#24 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(aChocLover @ Nov 20 2011, 12:36 PM) View Post

But, I think regardless, Hubby will have a coronary if I even suggest one because my gorgeous must-have kitchenaid is under-utilised laugh.gif

yeah, my Mum cries when she hears someone has bought a KA laugh.gif She says they should have just paid a bit more and got a TM!

#25 Maxi

Maxi

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

I read that forum before I bought the Thermo Chef and mentioned the "having to cool the soup before blending" problem to the person carrying out the demo. There is no need to cool it beforehand as the speed doesn't need to go any higher when pureeing soup. She made soup in front of me so I believe her!

There was no "smell"(!) from the Thermo Chef at the demo we were at!

The spare bowl on the Thermo Chef is $95 (or free if you buy a Thermo Chef now) as opposed to *I think* $250-$300 on Thermomix.

I spoke with a lady who had bought one (she was buying a pizza oven by the same people) and had friends who had one of each. They did a comparision by making the exact same meal at the same time and the meals turned out exactly the same. The Thermo Mix friend was not impressed apparently.

One of our I-doers has a Thermo Chef so hopefully she pops her head in here too.

I couldn't really justify it to myself to spend $2k (even though my husband was happy to!) so I went with the cheaper one.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll answer them as best I can (considering I don't have the appliance in my hot little hands yet!). smile.gif
IPB Image

#26 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

that's good to know Maxi. It's so hard to know when people are spouting on a forum as you just don't know. It's also hard to know what's true too when a salesperson is telling you something too! I guess having only seen the TM in regular action that's why I sway towards it. But yeah, if the TM was also priced at $800 I would have bought one straight away, whereas it's taken me some time to be convinced of the TM due to the cost. Where did you buy your TC from? Might have a chat to DH about it and see what he thinks.

I must say though, I like with the TM that the scales are in the main bit, but not sure that's worth an extra $1200! And I guess even though they do the same thing, I do worry about the longevity of the TC I suppose, as I just keep thinking that there must be SOME reason as to why it's so much cheaper unsure.gif

#27 Angel_Elle

Angel_Elle

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

iv been wanting a Kenwood chef for ages and now been told by DH i can buy one next year but now since hearing about thermomix/thermochef has thrown a different spin on things.
Sean & Mechelle 28th Oct 2006

Amylia 29 Oct 2007 Liam 17 Mar 2009 Daniel 21 Feb 2011

#28 Maxi

Maxi

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

For me, TC does all that I need it to do so if there are extra features on the TM that I don't know about I won't miss them! I also didn't want to spend $2k if I found I preferred to use my other appliances! Because it's such a different way of cooking it's still taking me a little while to get used to the idea of something making mashed potatoes for me while it also steams my chicken!

TM had the monopoly for so long that I guess they could charge what they like. It's possibly like buying a Ford or a BMW. They are both driveable and do the job but one has the better name (and possibly more features - I'm not too knowledgeable about TM).

There are demos regularly at Matchbox and I didn't need to book in. There were only two other customers there (it was a Friday) so I was able to ask questions, feel the texture of the rice flour, icing sugar, pizza dough etc that she had prepared in front of us. The pesto smelled divine!

Matchbox Link It shows demo days/times nationwide.

If you buy from Matchbox you get the free bowl, plus by spending over $500 you get a $25 gift voucher (that's where I bought mine).

TCs are also available online with free shipping here with a $75 voucher (but no spare bowl).

Kenwood have a similar system around $2k which does induction cooking but I didn't like the look of that one.

It's the kind of thing I can imagine Aldi doing a cheaper version of, like they have the Nespresso. TC will seem mid-range then!
IPB Image

#29 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Just thought I would add some info as I've spoken to my Mum (who is a TM consultant). She hadn't heard of it so asked her team leader and she said that TM (maybe head office?) had bought a TC to see how it compared. Function wise pretty similar like you would have read with the few bits and pieces not quite the same.

She reckons the main thing is how it's built. TM uses magnets whereas TC uses belts, so the TC has a greater chance of something going wrong with it because of how it's built. Apparently the one the the TM person bought had something go wrong with it (still in warranty) and they had a lot of problems getting it fixed, whereas you don't have that with TM.

Anyway, it's like pretty much everything on the market. There's expensive TVs, washing machines etc and there's cheap ones. People choose everyday whether they can afford the top of the line or whether the cheaper one will do, even though the quality isn't the same.

I'm still on the fence a bit, although kinda leaning towards TM. DH said after Christmas.

#30 Jaydee

Jaydee

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,797 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

DH has just heard of them, and now wants one to grind flour, make smoothies and bread, etc etc.

I'm not convinced...the man was after a pasta maker for AGES, I bought him one, he used it once and it's been in the cupboard ever since. I don't want to spend all that money on TM for it to have a similar fate laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users