#1 *Simone*

*Simone*

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

My son is baffling me at the moment.

We have been very blessed with an excellent sleeper, who started sleeping through at 2 months old and apart from illness has slept through since then. We loosely followed from about 4 months old SOS routines for sleeping and feeding. For quite a long time he has gone to bed fairly consistently at 7pm. Quite often he would not go to sleep immediately, but was content to talk to himself, roll or muck around in his cot until he did fall asleep without crying out for attention.

Well, it seems I made a big mistake earlier this week blush.gif . He had been waking up once or twice a night due to a runny nose and stuffiness from Monday-Wednesday. On Thursday he went to bed at his usual time, but as he had a long, late afternoon sleep he didn't seem too tired. After an hour of rolling around in his cot he started to cry. Thinking he was probably feeling unwell I let him out of his cot and he lay with me on the lounge, and was content again. It is extremely rare for me to get him out of bed once he has gone down. I tried once or twice to put him back to bed, but he began crying again. Finally, on the third attempt he went to bed at about 10pm.

I didn't think much of it, apart from that he might be feeling ill and clingy. Well, his cold seems to have improved since then, but every night since then, Friday night to tonight he has screamed his head off when put to bed which is very unlike him. He actually starts crying when I put his sleeping bag on and he knows bedtime is imminent. The Friday DH got him out of bed and rocked him til he went to sleep, as I still thought he might be feeling unwell and he went to sleep fairly quickly. Saturday, tried again, same screaming, so I rocked him, couldn't get him to sleep, and in the end had to put him back in his cot until he wore himself out crying. Tonight when I put him to bed I explained to him firmly but gently as I put his sleeping bag on that it was bedtime, he had to go in his cot, and that I wouldn't be rocking him or coming back into his room as it was time to sleep. He cried for about 15 minutes and then went quiet.

Any ideas what this is all about? I tend to think that he thought it was tops on Friday to get out of bed and be with me on the lounge and now thinks if he cries long and hard enough we will cave and come to get him out of bed. But it seems odd that one night of change could bring about such a change in behaviour, as there have been other breaks to his routine before that haven't resulted in this sort of upset. I just don't like seeing him upset to go to bed, particularly after all this time of happy bedtimes!

#2 chelley

chelley

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

I suspect you are spot on. He liked the 'change' to the routine and is just readjusting to the new routine of being put in the cot. My hubby was away and raya wanted to sleep in my bed. But at her age I knew that one night of doing something different was going to be about 4 days of undoing so she slept in her own bed.

I do change the routine when she is sick to get thru but we always have a period of readjustment
IPB Image

Check out my blog at www.geeyourebrave.com

#3 flowerrose

flowerrose

Part of the Furniture

• ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

Ethan is doing this too at the moment. I've not got the first clue why!

#4 cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Married!!!

• frequent poster
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

We stayed with family a few weeks ago, and alex had trouble getting to sleep after a long car ride. For the next few nights he screamed when we put him to bed. It eventually settled and he is back to normal now. I think it is an age thing - he picked up on staying up later, and is trying to do it more often, he now often shakes his head when sleep/bed is mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users