Photo

Parent presents

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Parent Presents (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you get your parents a present 'for' your wedding?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Guest_Windsor_Guest

Guest_Windsor_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

We gave both sets of parents a hardcover 'parents album' that was part of our photography package.

We also paid for their accommodation the night before and the night of the wedding, as we booked several apartment rooms in a hotel for guests.

We paid for the vast majority of the wedding. My parents offered to pay for my dress and DH's parents offered (but never did sad.gif) to pay for the extra guests they invited.

#17 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:38 AM

I bought my parents something, but that was because they paid for our entire wedding. It was just a movie and dinner voucher but just something to say thanks. Plus a card with some writing which made my Mum cry tongue.gif

#18 JC_1984

JC_1984

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

unfortunately its a bit tit-for-tat with our families.
My mum & dad are paying for our hall hire and ceremony set up where as FIL's aren't paying buck-one!

The mothers will be getting a little gift bag filled with their corsage, an embroidered hanky and a bath bomb. I'm going to look at getting my mum a nice pair of earrings and a bottle of wine too (while his mum wont get these extras)

the fathers will also get an embroidered hanky and a little hip flask filled with liquor, along with their button holes. I want to get my dad something extra, but I don't know what. any suggestions?

#19 Sariele

Sariele

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

I voted "no" because I won't be doing it, but then I read all the responses saying they gave photos/albums as a gift.... I would have thought that was a given! Of course the parents will get a set of photos.

I thought the OP meant general gifts, which I think is unnecessary and highlights the materialistic fixation of the general population. A thank you or acknowledgement in the speech is of course essential, and flowers for the mums are a nice touch. But like another poster said, I especially find gifts pointless if the parents helped pay for the wedding as it's like they bought their own presents.

Together 6th March 2010
Engaged 21st May 2011
Married 14th April 2012

ICSI #1 - BFN ~~ ICSI #2 - BFN ~~ ICSI #3 - very early chemical, BT BFN ~~ ICSI #4 - BFN ~~ FET #1 - CHEM PG ~~ ICSI #5 - BFP!!

IPB Image

My IVF/ICSI blog: http://elodiah.blogspot.com

#20 girlfriday

girlfriday

• frequent poster
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

both sets of parents like to entertain so we bought them both an nice ice bucket with a bottle of Moet - and presented them at our reception with a little speech about how they'd all helped us on our journey not only to the wedding but also to becoming the person that our partner chose to marry, etc,etc.

later separately they both promised to share the champers on our first wedding anniversary -which they did!

and the ice buckets have certainly been used over the last few summers with dinners out on the patios & picnics. we were lucky that DH travelled alot O/S beofre the wedding so the alcohol was duty free.

I don't really think that a present is necessary though it is a lovely, small way to pay tribute to your parents' contribution (finanicial, emotional, etc) to your life so far....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users