9 replies to this topic

#1 creativity

creativity

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

Just wondering if anyone can help with this?

We've just turned the car seat around for Zoe as she is close to 12kg now, however when I was looking at the instructions on the seat, it says to put the harness straps the lowest slots with the headrest in positions 3 or 4 which are the lower ones. It doesn't make sense to me as her head is higher than that as are her shoulders. So currently we have the headrest in position 2 with the straps coming out the middle slots near her shoulders?

I can't get the full instruction manual online. Hopefully this makes sense and someone can help out? What settings do you have your seat in for your similar toddler?
Josh 13.02.07 | Zoe 04.10.08 | Ben 14.11.11

#2 aChocLover

aChocLover

formerly known as AuChocolat

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

We had a meridian and we let DDs size dictate which slots to use.

I think from memory, her eyes were not to be higher than the top of the seat - so we adjusted it so the head rest was in a suitable position, and the shoulder straps were slightly higher than her shoulders (so that the strap came down over her shoulder, not up her back to come down again over the top of the shoulder, IYKWIM?)

All very puzzling .. wacko.gif

Good Luck getting it sorted smile.gif

#3 creativity

creativity

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

That's what we have basically done too. But the instructions give you options if you have a very short child! And what is even more ridiculous is the setting for a large toddler is lower than for the small toddler! wacko.gif I was so confused!

#4 *Wen J*

*Wen J*

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

We have the same one, Chloe is also 12 kgs and I have just made sure that the top of the headrest is just above her head level and the straps are just above her shoulders. Never have the straps below as this pulls on their shoulders. I have had to adjust the levels a few times over the last few months as she keeps growing but stays the same weight. I just used the instructions as a guide but followed my instincts as to what was proper and comfortable for my daughter.

Just a note, I have found that the seat belt buckles need to be firmly pushed in as a few times I have turned around to see my daughter standing on the seat laughing at me! I appears that I had not firmly secured the buckle! I looked like it has clicked in but it hadn't. Scared the living daylights out of me!
Wen J *

#5 creativity

creativity

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Funny you say that as I have found Zoe doing the same thing. Scared the life out of me. I have had to pull over a few times to strap her back in properly. Now I push the life out of the and pull them to make sure they are in!! laugh.gif

I'm just finding though that there doesn't seem to be enough strap coming through to loosen, and then they aren't retracting well when I go to tighten once she's in. I don't remember having these issues when Josh was in the seat! wacko.gif

#6 Camilla

Camilla

Roar!

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

I have had this happen a few times with J! I now make sure I hear the loud "click" and give it a pull before I finish. If not, I undo and redo to make sure I hear it. I was completely freaked one day to turn around and see him sitting without any belt on a major road where I couldn't stop.
Camilla
C&S 02-11-2002
DS 23-04-2007
DD 09-11-2009

(Angel Baby - Ectopic - 19th December 2005)
(CP - 19th August 2008)

#7 em2007

em2007

chocoholic

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Check behind the seat to see if the metal partwhere the two straps attach is getting caught on the seatbelt - that happens with us and stops the straps tightening/loosening easily.

And this is correct: (although I think the straps can be up to an inch below their shoulders when FF or something like that). You set the headrest first, then pick the strap posotion that is closest to their shoulders.

QUOTE(*Wen J* @ May 1 2010, 08:53 PM) View Post
t the top of the headrest is just above her head level and the straps are just above her shoulders.

#8 *Wen J*

*Wen J*

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

I agree with Melissa too. I found that the metal part that the seatbelt attaches to behind the seat has gotten stuck before. Once I fixed it, it was fine and I was able to lengthen/shorten it much easier.
Wen J *

#9 *****030812

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,514 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

aaah the Meridian.

The straps can go up to an inch below their shoulders. Also, if the bottom of the headrest is touching their shoulders, you either have it set incorrectly or they are too big for it.

I found also that the metal part on the harness was getting caught on the cars seat belt. You need to make sure that you have these the correct way around...........can't remember which way it is, but it does specify whether to have the cars seat belt at the very back, or in between the Meridian's seat and the Meridian's harness straps.

Also make sure the infant insert is long gone.

#10 creativity

creativity

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:57 PM

Thanks girls. Will have a look at the back again. I'm sure I checked it and it seemed fine, but have another look. It might be time to call in the professionals!

Melissa/Amy, I did set the headrest first and then insert the straps according to where Z's shoulders would be so that all seems fine. Infant insert is gone too. I just found that if I put the headrest and straps in the positions that are on the instructions on the side, Zoe wouldn't fit into it and she is not big at all! It's just so strange.

Anyway, I'll double check the back/seat belt/metal bit tomorrow and if still no luck I'm just going to book someone to come over and fix it. Actually I think our council was having a free day of getting your child restraints checked. I must go look that up and book it if it hasn't already been on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users