20 replies to this topic

#16 ***Bella***

***Bella***

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Beth the library in Coffs has the Kaz Cooke books in them (maybe even at Toormina). So if you want to borrow it and just have it around the house she might read it.
They also have a few others.

#17 Bethmd

Bethmd

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

Oh thanks Bella, I didn't even think of the library.
IPB Image

#18 SamIam

SamIam

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

Beth, I can really recommend a book called "Puberty Girl" to you and your daughter. It is written in a very relaxed way and deals with all the 'gross' stuff as well as things like friendships, bullying, eating........

It's good that she's making moves towards being open with you and talking about this stuff. I don't think there's much else you can do, except be there for her!

Oh and one piece of advice my mum gave me when i started having children was to only ever answer their questions - by this she meant that if they say "the baby came out your tummy, didn't it mum?" (assuming you didn't have a c/s) The answer would be "No, it didn't"

Evenutally they will say "Well how did it?" and then you answer that......that of course is a question that you may have already dealt with, but you get the idea!

Good luck, fortunately at this stage my daughter is very happy to talk to me about all this stuff.....hope it stays that way smile.gif
Zoe Victoria ~ 20/11/1997
Lachlan John ~ 10/05/1999
Callum James ~ 20/07/2000
Angus Robert ~ 15/05/2002

#19 Bethmd

Bethmd

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

Well I borrowed the Kaz Cooke book & she wouldn't have a bar of it. I have spoken to her teacher again & she said that Last Monday morning she had about 5-6 girls run up to her & say Miss F have you seen the libra girl website? So Mel had been talking about it on MSN with her friends. Miss F also said that she has had 3 different girls come up to her & tell her that Mel talks about things in the playground fine.
Miss F spoke with Mel & the conclusion was that she would not leave class during the lessons if Miss F did not make eye contact with her during the lessons.
She is just uncomfortable in a group setting with the topic. Fair enough I guess.
As long as she knows what is happening & going to happen then I am happy.
Thanks for all the help ladies. Much appreciated.
Beth

IPB Image

#20 Puggie

Puggie

Part of the Furniture

• ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,808 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

It's an awkward age... Glad you've opened the communication lines a bit.

I wonder whether, having a boy, I'll escape 'the talk'. Hmmm - might do a poll to see about that wink.gif

#21 BeeJay

BeeJay

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Bethmd @ Jun 27 2009, 08:27 AM) View Post
Well I borrowed the Kaz Cooke book & she wouldn't have a bar of it. I have spoken to her teacher again & she said that Last Monday morning she had about 5-6 girls run up to her & say Miss F have you seen the libra girl website? So Mel had been talking about it on MSN with her friends. Miss F also said that she has had 3 different girls come up to her & tell her that Mel talks about things in the playground fine.
Miss F spoke with Mel & the conclusion was that she would not leave class during the lessons if Miss F did not make eye contact with her during the lessons.
She is just uncomfortable in a group setting with the topic. Fair enough I guess.
As long as she knows what is happening & going to happen then I am happy.
Thanks for all the help ladies. Much appreciated.
Beth

Baby steps, at least she is talking about it now. It seems she is just one of those kids who is more comfortable talking to her friends. I think as long as she knows you are there for her and that you're happy to answer any questions it will all be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users