Photo

Fidel Is Very Ill (Goodbye Our Gorgeous Little Man)

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 drom

drom

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

Our gorgeous new little furbaby (kitten) Fidel is really really ill. sad.gif

We took him to the vet today because we noticed that he vomited on Thursday. We hoped it was just a one off. But, when we got home last night, he'd vomited again during the day. So we rang the vet first thing this morning and had to wait (being a public holiday) until someone could see him this afternoon. During that wait, he vomited again.

The local vet did a blood test and discovered that he is extremely anaemic, jaundiced and dehydrated. We noticed on Friday that he was drinking a lot more water.

So the vet recommended that we drive him straight to Hallam to the Animal Emergency Centre where he could be monitored 24x7, diagnosed and treated. We just got back home before.

We rang the vet at the Emergency Centre when we got home and she said he is all settled in and they put a drip in him but he managed to chew through the tube. wub.gif So he now has a bucket on his head. The poor possum. wub.gif They also put a line in him so they can continue to take blood. They did another blood test just after we left and discovered that his blood cell count had dropped from when the vet took them this afternoon. sad.gif

The vet (who is so lovely) told hubby that Fidel is very very ill. sad.gif They still don't know exactly what is wrong with him but they have eliminated Feline Aids and Leukemia. They won't get the blood test results that will tell them all they need to know from the lab till tomorrow afternoon. At this stage, they believe it could be a problem with his liver which would explain the jaundice and dehydration. She told us that if his blood cell levels drop further to 10 (he's at 19) that he may need a blood transfusion. sad.gif

So for now, they are doing more tests, monitoring him, playing with him and giving him lots of cuddles. The vet said that they've all fallen in love with him. He really is the most gorgeous little man. wub.gif

It just breaks my heart to see him as ill as this. He's only 15 weeks old. sad.gif Hubby and I miss him like crazy and I think Moni does too. Even though she still hasn't exactly been friendly to him.

As the vet said to us, it was hard to know that he was ill and especially how acutely ill he is. Because he still eats well (although not as much as he should for his age), he still interacts as though he is ok. It's just the fact that he sleeps way more than a kitten should and the vomiting that gave us all an indication.

We are hoping and praying that they are able to find out what is wrong with him and treat him. sad.gif

#2 Rogue

Rogue

Bad Wolf

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Oh drom I am so saddened to read this! Sending big hugs to you, hubby and Moni, and lots of cat love in the direction of Fidel. The poor dear little man. Fingers crossed he picks up over the coming days and is able to return home really soon.

#3 drom

drom

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

Thanks Rogue. smile.gif

We had to ring the vet at 5am this morning to see how he went overnight. She said that he went OK and appeared to have stabilised a bit. He definately hasn't got any worse overnight (which they were worried about) thank goodness. smile.gif

His blood cell count has risen 1 point to 20 which is good. But, it could just mean that the local vet we took him to that also did a blood test was out by a point or two.

They aren't able to pump in as much IV fluid into him as they want because they said it may affect the blood tests they have to do. But, he is on a drip and is much more hydrated.

The vet said that he'd eaten overnight (chicken) and had a big drink and that he really does appear to be much happier than he should be feeling. What a little trooper he is. wub.gif

She also said that herself and the 2 other vet nurses who were on overnight couldn't resist giving him lots of cuddles. I think they've taken a real shine to him. wub.gif It makes us happy to hear that they are looking after him so well. smile.gif They also took him out of his cage for a few plays. She said he would let them know when he wanted to play by his little meow. smile.gif

We had to ring again at 7am to find out more from the new vet that is now on for the day shift. She said the lab they are couriering the blood to doesn't open till 12 noon. They've marked his blood tests as urgent so we should have these results by mid afternoon fingers crossed.

We are worried sick about our poor little man. I really hope they can find out what is wrong with him and that it is treatable. They did warn us that if he needs a blood transfusion that they can be really difficult for asian breed cats to find the right blood and some cats can really have an adverse reaction to the transfusion if the blood isn't just right. sad.gif

#4 sierra

sierra

learning to live again......

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

Drom I really hope the BTs this afternoon hold good news and it is something treatable.
My fingers are crossed for your little man.
Please let us know how it goes.

Never giving up hope.
LTTC #1

#5 drom

drom

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(Sahara @ Apr 26 2009, 09:39 AM) View Post

Drom I really hope the BTs this afternoon hold good news and it is something treatable.
My fingers are crossed for your little man.
Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your wishes Sahara. smile.gif

I will definately let you know how it goes when we find out more this afternoon.

#6 Puggie

Puggie

Part of the Furniture

• ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,808 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

sad.gif I hope your furbaby continues to improve. I can imagine you must be very worried sad.gif sad.gif

Spud and Sumo are sending their warmest, healing, regards.

#7 rachealD

rachealD

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Oh drom, we are thinking of you. sending Fidel get well soon vibes from me and all the fur babies!!!!
IPB Image

If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything
"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but
it surely will change the world for that one dog."
Edmund Burke

Posted Imagehttp://i72.photobuck...ws/Silver-1.gif[/img]

#8 drom

drom

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Puggie and Chrissy. smile.gif

The vet just rang and advised that they still haven't got the blood test results back. Which is disappointing. She said they may get them a bit later today but it's now looking like it may be tomorrow.

But, the good news is that he is fully hydrated and much more livelier. He's had 2 big feeds of chicken and was ravenous so his proper appetite appears to be back. Which is also good. His blood cell count is also up one more point to 20. So that is another good bit of news.

But, until they find out exactly what is wrong with them, they can't treat him anymore than they have. It's the blood test results that will give them/us the answers we need.

We are very happy that he's improved today but still apprehensive about the test results. Something has/is causing the jaundice, anaemia and dehydration. That's the worrying part.

Thanks for all your wishes girls. I'll keep you posted as we get more news. Please keep your fingers and furbaby paws crossed for our little man. smile.gif

#9 Chels

Chels

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

Oh sad.gif , my fingers and my furbaby- Jessie's paws are crossed for Fidel ...
Hope you find out what's wrong with him really soon

Chels x
S + C 23.08.08
Our Angel Stella Bella 11.01.10-15.12.11
Our Little Man Jett 01.03.11
Our Second Prince Chase 07.01.13

Dedicated to my Star
Stella's Galaxy

#10 ~*JAC*~

~*JAC*~

Jac Jac Jackie

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

My fingers are crossed for your poor little furbaby, I hope you get some good results tomorrow. Please keep us posted xo
IPB Image

#11 Christian Troy

Christian Troy

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hoping for a quick recovery for Fidel. Poor little man.

Have you spoken to the breeder? Maybe this has happened to one of their other kittens and they can shed some light on the situation.

Hugs.

#12 Lissy Loo

Lissy Loo

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:50 PM

oh Drom you poor thing i really feel for you, we went through the exact some thing with our furbaby Gus a couple of months ago and unfortunately he didn't make it but i really hope and pray that you your little Fidel pulls through.
Take carexx
Lissy

#13 L's Angel

L's Angel

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

Poor little poppet, my best wishes for his continued improvement - I hope they can figure out what's wrong and start specific treatment soon.
IPB Image

#14 toska

toska

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

I hope he gets better soon! Hugs.

#15 mrs cinders

mrs cinders

Never forget anything that made you smile.....

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

Any more news on Fidel?? Fingers crossed that it's nothing complicated.
<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...tickfamily.swf" FlashVars="t1=&t2=&sc=0x990000&pv1=1&pn1=9&px1=243.55&pf1=1&pv2=1&pn2=4&px2=180.8&pf2=0&pv3=1&pn3=36&px3=317.85&pf3=1" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="500" height="230" name="My Stick Family" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a href="http://www.widdlytin...ytinks.com/">My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com</a></center>

Me, Him and the Dog-Child!
28th September, 2001....

<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...saryticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Hitched and Happy!&t2=days until our 9th anniversary!&t3=Today is the day!&bckimg=18&y=2010&m=9&d=28&colorNumber=2&fonttype=Romantic" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="300" height="80" name="Anniversary Tickers at WiddlyTinks" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a href="http://www.widdlytin...y/">Anniversary Tickers</a></center>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users