Photo

Country Music Lovers... Brooks & Dunn...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lawsiepawsie

lawsiepawsie

Frequent Poster

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

So exciting... Brooks & Dunn are touring Australia again next year with Dierks Bently as support act! So excited!

See here and here

Country duo Brooks & Dunn are heading to Brisbane

By Brian Crisp
November 03, 2008 01:20pm

IF, as expected, Barack Obama is elected as America's first black president this week there's every chance country music duo Brooks & Dunn will be part of the celebrations.

They won't be there on stage with Obama. They'll probably be sitting in the comfort of their Nashville lounge rooms watching events unfold on television.

But it will be their song, the stand-up-and-shout anthem Only in America that will be blasting out of the speakers as Obama takes the reins of the free world.

And it's probably only in America that a song, co-written by a Republican, could become the theme for a historic Democratic campaign. And two Republican campaigns.

Obama used the song as the thrilling climax to his nomination acceptance speech earlier this year. As Obama raised his hands in triumph the crowd erupted as the song's distinctive guitar riff cranked up and a sea of red, white and blue filled the room.

It's that kind of song. It compels you to stand and cheer. It's also a song that crosses political borders. Ironically, President George W. Bush used it during both his campaigns.

Kix Brooks, the Republican half of the songwriting collaboration with the Don Cook that spawned Only in America, says he couldn't believe what he was hearing at the Obama celebrations.

"I was shocked watching his speech at the Democratic Convention and he gets done and Only in America comes blaring over the speakers," Kix said from Louisiana.

"I was sitting there and I looked at Barbara (Kix's wife) and said 'You've got to kidding'.

"This is the same song that George Bush used for two elections. We actually played it at his first inauguration.

"My phone obviously started ringing off the hook halfway through the song with people wondering what the heck was going on.

"You know, my response to that was I'm really honoured that many people are inspired by a song that was written without any political party in mind.

"It was just a song of hope, a song of inspiration and patriotism and the fact that both parties have used it as much as they have – it's just flattering.

"I'm not one of those artists that goes, 'you shouldn't be using my song because I don't necessarily think the way you do'.

"My co-writer Don Cook started the Music Row Democrats and politics never got in the way of our friendship or songwriting. So I thought it was really great that both parties have used it and politically we both (Don and I) got our day in the sun with this song."

Brooks says he's not sure if anybody can fix America's economy.

"I think America is just nervous," he says. "People don't really know what to expect. I think everyone is really looking forward to the day we take a sigh of relief and start building in a positive direction again.

"Right now the economy seems to still be thumping along on the bottom and we're not seeing a huge drop in attendance at shows and things like that, but again I feel like traditionally when things get really stressful people tend to turn to music.

"We know how tight money is right now and we realise we have a responsibility to deliver not just some music, but a big show, and it's real important to us that people leave going, 'we got our money's worth – that was fun'. That's what we work real hard on."

In a bit of a surprise, Brooks and Ronnie Dunn will be back in Australia next May.

Brooks & Dunn fans waited 17 years for music's most successful duo to come Down Under for their first tour, which included two sold out Brisbane Entertainment Centre shows in February and March this year.

Those shows sold out in less than an hour so act quickly when tickets go on sale on November 17.

Brooks says they were blown away by the reaction of Australian audiences. So much so, that he and Dunn started planning a return visit on their last tour.

"We never dreamed that we would sell those shows out, or that the crowds would be like that.

"Every city we went to – Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne – all had different personalities.

"Again you would expect me to say this, but the personality in general in Australia is like nothing we have in America. I mean it was so laid-back and friendly – and not that America's not friendly – but America has an edgier attitude and I just felt relaxed the whole time I was there and that doesn't always happen when you are out of your environment."

If country music doesn't rock your world then the Brooks & Dunn juggernaut has probably slipped by you. But stop and think about it this way – they have sold more records than Simon and Garfunkel. These guys built the Red Dirt Road up to, and across the other side of that Bridge Over Troubled Waters.

They've had more than 20 No. 1 hits on the country charts since their first CD, Brand New Man, in 1991. Some people credit, even blame, them with kick-starting the line-dancing craze in the 1990s off the back of their mega-hit Boot Scootin Boogie.

When they walked out on stage at the Entertainment Centre last February promoter Michael Chugg was heard to say that he was blown away by the crowd.

Chugg was amazed at how much energy and excitement these tall, thin men in hats could muster.

For Chugg, bringing Brooks & Dunn to Australia had been a gamble. But early in the show, Brooks & Dunn discovered just how big their Brisbane fan base was. During Neon Moon, which was a hit for them in 1992, they invited the crowd to sing the chorus. They not only did that, they sang the next verse as well.

"You wonder, wow, how does this happen," Brooks said.

"In America we have 12 or 13 hundred stations that play nothing but country music 24 hours a day and that really isn't the case in Australia.

"I was surprised, very excited and we loved it."

While the 2009 tour will feature some new songs – the boys are writing for a new album now – and stage effects, it will be pretty much be pure Brooks & Dunn – same band, and same thumping pop-country sound.

"When I go to see the Rolling Stones – if they don't play Satisfaction and Sympathy for the Devil – I'm not going to be happy when I go home," Brooks says.

"We kinda know what people are expecting to hear and we're not going to disappoint.

"We've built a whole new production and we've created entirely new video content. Really cool stuff. And we will shuffle the deck on the songs.

"At the risk of sounding completely arrogant, after 17 years we've got a whole lot of songs.

"We'll take a look at our set lists from last time and we'll try to mix that up a bit."

Brooks & Dunn's latest hit Put A Girl In It probably best sums up the ethos of these guys. Full throttle fun.

The video features hundreds of stunning bikini babes. Brooks says he hasn't shown it to his wife yet. "My God, if my wife ever sees that video I'm in trouble, man.

"Those are the days I come home and tell Barbara how tired I am, and how hard I worked. "I also tell her: 'The TV's broken again, honey, so I can't show you the clip'.

"You can go to CNN and get all the bad news you want. I try not to put it in my songs."

Brooks & Dunn will play the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on May 9. Dierks Bentley will be the support act.

#2 Loammeda

Loammeda

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

I'm so excited too!

I was hoping that Adam Harvey had it right when he told me. The poor guy must have thought I was a lunatic.... ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users