#61 alaia

alaia

absofreakinlutely

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(Renee` @ Oct 6 2008, 10:12 PM) View Post

Ali Will it just be IVF you are doing? We did IVF/ICSI, so bloods weren't invovled for us, I had internal ultrasounds every visits - bit like what Alaia said wink.gif My FS got used to having non-shaved legs, I was very embarassed about it the first few times, learnt to get over it pretty quick...just legs for goodness sake laugh.gif

Britt - Fet WITH Clomid, I thought Clomid was for Ovulation? I get so confused, it is confushing hey.

Yep they still need to get you to O before they do the FET and I didn't O on my first FET hence why they cancelled that cycle sleep.gif I O'd perfectly for the last FET though so Comid does work for me.

Welcome Tash smile.gif we did IVF/ICSI as E has a low sperm count and poor morphology. ICSI does cost more than standard IVF and you will notice it differs in price state by state. Our initial treatment was $5800 and we were out of pocket about $1000

#62 *Tash*

*Tash*

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hi Alaia, thanks for the welcome.

So the ~$5000, do we get some of that back, even without PHI??

#63 alaia

alaia

absofreakinlutely

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

PHI only cover the hospital bill but in my case I had to pay the excess. The majority of the rebate came back from Medicare.

#64 sierra

sierra

learning to live again......

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hi all, Im back on this ride!!

Just been stalking lately because I just didnt seem to be able to face reality of another cycle yet.
Today will be CD1 (major cramps) after a record 40 day cycle , never had one so long before, but i was on astronomical doses of FSH last time, which absolutely floored me, and did my egg quality no favours.
So 4 weeks on the pill, to give my ovaries a rest and back into an another antagonist cycle, which is nice and short, 4 1/2 weeks from first injection to preg test.

Im also not on PHI and the total cost of my first cycle (with non claimable hospital bill) was around $4000, but the next cycle only cost around $2500 - again there was $1000 of private hospital in that total, which is claimable when doing tax.

Janelle and Ali , it cost me up front around $9500 for my Tmba cycle , the cost isnt so much the global fee $6200, but the cetrotide (around $900 ) which isnt covered under medicare plus all the crinone and luteal support, but as I said you can claim them on tax. And you have to pay the docs fee up front , but you get them all back too.

I did my second cycle in Brisbane (1.5 hours away) , same IVF group, but it cost me less, because the hospital was much cheaper and the extra meds werent invovled,different drs have different protcols.

I just find it amazing that you get so immune about the costs after awhile, I remember bursting into tears when I read all the costs after our registration, but now I dont even feel sick when thinking about the price. Its just become normal to save our butts off and go without other things, just to give it another go.

#65 beachgurl

beachgurl

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

Welcome Tash. As for claimable amounts, Medicare will refund you up to 80% of costs, once you have had out-of-pocket expenses over $1050. There are some costs that are not covered by Medicare, which include the day hospital stay and some medications. When I had my initial IVF appointment, a member of the accounts department sat with us and provided us with an exact breakdown of what costs are claimable and what is not claimable. I think our first cycle will cost around $8500 and we look to get back around $5500. Sounds like DH has a hard road ahead with the biopsy. He must have an incredible urge to be the biological father if he is willing to lose part of his boys!

Welcome back to the ride Sierra. I don't even think about the cost. We do have some savings to cover most of the cost, but regardless, knowing that IVF is the only way forward now, I'm happy to pay whatever it costs.

hi to everyone else.

#66 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hi Sierra, missed you around here! This cost thing is mad and it's not just straight forward. $2500 isn't too bad thought I guess, it's just having all the money up front (which is what credit cards are for! ph34r.gif ).

Anyone have any recommendations for FS in Brisbane or Gold Coast, and if you don't mind, what their cost is?

Tash, that must be such a difficult decision for your husband to make. Hope that it will work out for you, whichever way you decide to go.

#67 alaia

alaia

absofreakinlutely

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(AliRo @ Oct 7 2008, 02:15 PM) View Post

Anyone have any recommendations for FS in Brisbane or Gold Coast, and if you don't mind, what their cost is?

We're at Monash on the Gold Coast and my FS is Dr Penelope Isherwood. I think our first appointment with her was about $120 all her other fees are included in the IVF charges.

#68 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(alaia @ Oct 7 2008, 02:21 PM) View Post

We're at Monash on the Gold Coast and my FS is Dr Penelope Isherwood. I think our first appointment with her was about $120 all her other fees are included in the IVF charges.

How much are the upfront costs and how much are you out of pocket each cycle?

#69 Renee`

Renee`

Kaele & Miller's mum <3

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,806 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(AliRo @ Oct 7 2008, 02:15 PM) View Post

Tash, that must be such a difficult decision for your husband to make. Hope that it will work out for you, whichever way you decide to go.

I was seeing - and will go back to Dr Stephen Baines at Wesley Monash IVF - we just gel with him.
I cannot remember the initial fee with him, but after that it was all in the cost of the IVF anyway- I can give you figures from 2006 - which ofcourse will be slightly different now..

Planning and managemet: $132.00 (Rebate: $62.95)
Stim. Cycle. $3839 (Medicare rebate: $1668.80)
Egg pick up: $236.40 (Rebate: $236.40)
Embie Trans: $84.10 (Rebate: $84.10)
Semen prep: $58.00 (Rebate: $38.40)

On top of that if you do ICSI add on $650 Then your storage cost. Medications, which depends what you FS puts you on, and I am pretty sure varies clinic to clinic as well.
Anaesthetist fee's for your pick up, I paid $500 for mine, but it can be varied and that can be claimed at medicare, Hospital fees at the Wesley were $1149 for the pick up and $640 for the transfer.
And as an outpatient I paid a rooms fee of about $130

So all up just over $4600 is what I paid a couple of years ago (Not including Meds) out of pocket.

#70 alaia

alaia

absofreakinlutely

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(AliRo @ Oct 7 2008, 02:42 PM) View Post

How much are the upfront costs and how much are you out of pocket each cycle?

*$5800 for IVF/ICSI - from memory we were out of pocket about $1000
*$1700 for FET - I don't know the out of pocket expense for this yet as I am waiting for the medicare refund

If they put you on Synarel (nose spray) there is a cost for that too which was about $200

If a cycle is cancelled and you have had blood tests they will send you a bill. This is what really annoyed me as they were $66 each and I had 6 of them dry.gif

I have the actual break down of prices at home so I can post them for you tonight smile.gif

#71 Tazz

Tazz

Life has never been so complete

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

Lissy, my very first IVf appt was with Manuela, I liked her a lot, I only changed because at the time she wasn't at Freemasons only the womens and I wanted to go private. the results from your tests sound very positive, here's hoping your body responds well to the clomid.

QUOTE(Angel-Canon @ Oct 4 2008, 11:53 AM) View Post

Tazz, I find it all quite fascinating as well. When I went for the internal scan the other day I said I thought it would be quite interesting to the tech. She didn't reply, I think she thought I was some kind of pervert! LOL
How rude to ignore you, you'd think they'd like someone to show interest in what they're doing.

Ali, I usually had 3-4 visits for scans during each cycle, but as you can no doubt see from everyone's answers it's all so variable.

QUOTE(weddingworrier @ Oct 6 2008, 03:37 PM) View Post

Tazz - I have a question for you, you mentioned that you were sent to a Naturopath to fix the qulity of your crappy eggs. Just wondering how your FS knows they are crappy? Do they test them? Or can they find out some other way?
Tania, my crappy eggs were as a result of chemotherapy treatment. I'd done a cycle purely to freeze embryos prior to the treatment as a back up and had 8 good quality eggs produced on low doses of FSH (although only 2 went on to be successfully frozen). 3 years later & each cycle my ovaries produced very low numbers even on sky high doses of FSH & the eggs themselves were very fragile, which meant that I was lucky to end up with 4 at collection, but most of the time only 1 was of a decent enough quality for ICSI.

QUOTE(Renee` @ Oct 6 2008, 06:43 PM) View Post

...but when we were getting the lil fellas to be used/frozen he had to do it at the Clinic, he just used to tell himself that I went through worse then him, and the books weren't really that bad wink.gif
What a great man you have there! wink.gif

QUOTE(alaia @ Oct 6 2008, 07:17 PM) View Post

The one thing I said to everyone I come in to contact with is "please be open with me and tell me the truth" some of them will dance around things and I know they have your best interest at heart but...
I think this is so so important, this is one of the reasons I loved my FS so much, there were absolutely no shades of grey whatsoever, it was straight up black or white! With everything this process puts you through the last thing I feel you need is to be hanging on false hopes.

Ms Tash, you and hubby sure do have a lot of decisions to make, but I can understand why he'd want to at least try with the biopsy, even given the "needle in a haystack" odds. I was posed with the potential for needing donor eggs and while thankfully it never came to that it would just be such a hard process to go through even just the decision side of it to start with.
My hubby's needle biopsy fees were on top of the IVF charges, so I think you'd need to expect some more for that procedure too.

Sierra, good luck with this cycle hun, I hope it brings some joy smile.gif

#72 Renee`

Renee`

Kaele & Miller's mum <3

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,806 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(Tazz @ Oct 7 2008, 03:27 PM) View Post

Lissy, my very first IVf appt was with Manuela, I liked her a lot, I only changed because at the time she wasn't at Freemasons only the womens and I wanted to go private. the results from your tests sound very positive, here's hoping your body responds well to the clomid.

How rude to ignore you, you'd think they'd like someone to show interest in what they're doing.

Ali, I usually had 3-4 visits for scans during each cycle, but as you can no doubt see from everyone's answers it's all so variable.

Tania, my crappy eggs were as a result of chemotherapy treatment. I'd done a cycle purely to freeze embryos prior to the treatment as a back up and had 8 good quality eggs produced on low doses of FSH (although only 2 went on to be successfully frozen). 3 years later & each cycle my ovaries produced very low numbers even on sky high doses of FSH & the eggs themselves were very fragile, which meant that I was lucky to end up with 4 at collection, but most of the time only 1 was of a decent enough quality for ICSI.

I think this is so so important, this is one of the reasons I loved my FS so much, there were absolutely no shades of grey whatsoever, it was straight up black or white! With everything this process puts you through the last thing I feel you need is to be hanging on false hopes.

Helps when you know where you stand excatly. I really apprecaited my FS being upfront, I went in thinking that we would do Clomid, IUI, then see where it took us- just from what I had read on Dr. Google, and on here.
He said basically at that time he didn't think it would be worth it, ofcourse if we wanted to demand it, but he thought it would be a complete waste of money and time.

I just rung up the clinic because I am expecting a bill soon and wanted to find out how far away it was..

Oh gosh, I can't understand what I wrote down laugh.gif About $1700 (I think laugh.gif) but prices go up on the first of Nov. so again it'll change.. sad.gif

ETA I didn't write what that cost was for...it was for another FET.

#73 Thelma

Thelma

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(alaia @ Oct 7 2008, 02:56 PM) View Post

*$5800 for IVF/ICSI - from memory we were out of pocket about $1000
*$1700 for FET - I don't know the out of pocket expense for this yet as I am waiting for the medicare refund

If they put you on Synarel (nose spray) there is a cost for that too which was about $200

If a cycle is cancelled and you have had blood tests they will send you a bill. This is what really annoyed me as they were $66 each and I had 6 of them dry.gif

I have the actual break down of prices at home so I can post them for you tonight smile.gif

Thanks for that. It seems that there are such price variations between FS, you'd think they would be fairly similar. $1000 out of pocket is much better than $2500, definitely worth driving to the GC from Toowoomba!

The only issue would be is it's fairly easy for me to get time off and travel, but harder for my DH to do so as he is very busy and we'd lose a days wage for him (self employed)

#74 sierra

sierra

learning to live again......

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

The only issue would be is it's fairly easy for me to get time off and travel, but harder for my DH to do so as he is very busy and we'd lose a days wage for him (self employed)

Ali, I had the same problem, if fact the only time DH was with me was for the egg retrieval because he had to drive me home, oh and for the small fact we needed his contribution!!! tongue.gif
Other than that he didnt need to be there medically, although it is nice, in fact I went solo to my transfer too. We just couldnt afford him to take all that time off.

#75 Renee`

Renee`

Kaele & Miller's mum <3

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,806 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(AliRo @ Oct 7 2008, 04:32 PM) View Post

I think the first appointment is one that your Dh should definately go to, and then ofcourse if any samples of his is needed, and then for your pickup like Sierra said.

Although it is nice to have them there for everything else, sometimes it isn't possible. Klay came to not very many of our appointments because he wasn't home, I had a few people who I had told that would come, my grandma came to on appointment, and my uncle wouldn't have it that I went to another alone wub.gif I did have to go to a couple of appointments by myself but that didn't bother me - they were the ones to pick up medication and everything.

Both transfers Klay was home thankgoodness, particulary the second one, I was an emotional mess on the table while it was happening, crying and sobbing, and it hurt. So I was so glad to have him beside me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users