3905 replies to this topic

#1 Zelda

Zelda

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

I know the idea of a thread like this has been tossed around, and I thought I'd start one for those women who are going through any form of assisted conception (IUI, IVF, ICSI etc.), regardless of how long they have been TTC - be it 6 months or 6 years.
The physical, emotional and financial aspects of AC can be so exhausting, so I thought it would be nice to have a place where we can share our experiences and offer support to each other.

Please feel free to join in and share your journey so far...

#2 lil chicken

lil chicken

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for starting this Zelda smile.gif

We've done 4 cycles of IUI but no IVF yet....is this thread ok for asking IVF questions?

I have lots of them... but don't want to bother those going through their treatment, I'm sure they have enough to worry about!

Should we start a sub thread for questions or is it ok here? Whaddya think girls..

#3 Zelda

Zelda

Centurion

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(lil chicken @ Sep 29 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thanks for starting this Zelda smile.gif

We've done 4 cycles of IUI but no IVF yet....is this thread ok for asking IVF questions?

I have lots of them... but don't want to bother those going through their treatment, I'm sure they have enough to worry about!

Should we start a sub thread for questions or is it ok here? Whaddya think girls..

Hi LC - welcome!

I'm perfectly happy to answer any questions I can, but perhaps we should start a question sub-thread so that anyone looking can find the answer more quickly than having to trawl through all the chat that we'll probably get up to in here!

#4 janelle84

janelle84

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

I think its great this thread has finally been created, we are looking at starting IVF early next year (because of the safety net).

Im sure to have heaps of questions!!!

#5 A-Canon

A-Canon

Frequent Poster

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

Although I'm doing ovulation induction, which is obviously different from IVF/ICSI/IUI I wanted to pop in and say I think this is a fantastic idea for a thread - everyone needs support when they have fertility issues. Its such a difficult time in anyones life and I'm sure a lot of girls on this board will find support and empathy here smile.gif

#6 ~R~

~R~

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

I also think this is a great thread & thank you for starting it smile.gif

** preg mentioned **

We have been through IVF once, in 2006. Our daughter was conceived through that IVF cycle & is now 18 months old.

We plan on going through a new IVF cycle early next year. It seems like a life time ago now that we rode that rollercoaster, it's almost surreal. So I know that I am going to have to start getting back into that headspace again soon because I will admit that I have tried to put the whole experience to the back of my mind in order to focus on our beautiful daughter.

I look forward to chatting with others going through IVF and would like to offer support & answer questions where I can smile.gif

#7 proka

proka

Arcade Fire: Best band in the world

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

Just wanted to pop in and wish you girls and your partners all the very best.

#8 ~Emma~

~Emma~

Artist formally known as Blizzy

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

I too, want to wish you all the best girls. I will pop in and help with questions often..

#9 MrsJo

MrsJo

A new day has come..

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

Glad you have created this thread! Some people do know in advance they have to go straight to IVF/AC so it is good to have a thread that has no time frame on it for this subject. I hope it helps and supports those who need it, good luck to all, xox.

#10 Lissy Loo

Lissy Loo

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

great thread. I haven't started IVF yet but am about to start Clomid. I consider that as AC but justed wanted to check?

#11 byebye

byebye

Frequent Poster

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

I think this thread is a great idea! We knew from the get go that we would have to have IVF so didn't always feel that I belonged with the lovely ladies that had been trying for so long!

We had ICSI and were successful on our 3rd embryo transfer.. The journey was emotionally and physically draining but the reward is well worth it.

I would be happy to answer any questions anybody might have..

We are going to start another cycle bout sep/oct/nov 2009.....bring on the rollercoaster blink.gif

#12 ~R~

~R~

Part of the Furniture

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

Vetty, I remember you & followed your journey, I hope you & your little one are doing well smile.gif

Zelda, can I ask where you are at in your treatment?

I didn't mention in my original post that, just over 2 weeks ago, we had our 3rd & final frozen embie thawed & transferred on a natural cycle. Sadly, that little one did not stick. We had a follow up appt with our FS today to discuss where to go from here & we told him of our decision to wait it out until early next year to start a new IVF cycle.

I think it's going to take me 5/6 months to psych myself up to it all.

#13 weddingworrier

weddingworrier

• New User
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi All,

I also think this thread is a great idea!

I have PCOS and do not ovulate. We have done 6 rounds of Clomid (whichmade me O) and 2 IUI's - that was about 5 years ago, we were told at the time that IVF would be the next step but weren't ready at that time.

As we are now ready for the next step, we went to see a new FS last week who said that I have done my dash with Clomid and if it didn't work in 6 months it probably wouldnt work at all. She said that the next step is definatley IVF and we left the appt with our IVF DVD and our blood tests requests. The blood tests are done (including another Glucose Tolerance Test - Yuck!) and DH has his Sperm Test scheduled for this Friday.

The FS said that all going well, we could start IVF in as little at 6 weeks.

We didnt think it would be this quick!!!

We are a little hesitant to start so soon, as I was recently made redundant and currently am not working and are thinking we should wait until I get a job before starting. The bad thing is, this means I will be taking time off from a new job for appts etc which might not go down well. But on the other hand I want to know that we will be able to cope financially before starting.

Decisions, Decisions....

Anyway, best of luck to everyone else. And I am also happy to answer any questions.

Tania

#14 proka

proka

Arcade Fire: Best band in the world

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(weddingworrier @ Sep 30 2008, 03:47 PM) View Post

We are a little hesitant to start so soon, as I was recently made redundant and currently am not working and are thinking we should wait until I get a job before starting. The bad thing is, this means I will be taking time off from a new job for appts etc which might not go down well. But on the other hand I want to know that we will be able to cope financially before starting.

Decisions, Decisions....

**pg mentioned**

Exactly the same with me, hon. I could have written ^^^ myself. It's a huge decision. We decided to go ahead with IVF, and I ended up joining a temp agency. I am doing temp work right up until bubs is born. When I decide to go back to work, I will temp again whilst looking for a permanent job. Are you in an area where you could join a temp agency which would get you work? I find it's very flexible for your appt's etc and you won't have the stress of telling new employers about the time off.
Good luck though, I know how you feel!

#15 Tazz

Tazz

Life has never been so complete

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

Zelda honey you're a gem for starting this thread (& just in general too of course! wink.gif ) & I hope many of the wonderful girls here can benefit from it.

Before I get too far into this post I just want to say first of all that having been through 5 cycles of IVF and now being on the other side, I would love to be able to help out with any queries / questions anyone may have or just be able to offer support, but at the same time understand that some of you may prefer to only have those currently going through the process in this thread (and in which case I guess a separate question sub thread would have it's merits if you wanted to keep this as more of a chat/support thread).
So I guess in short, would love to pop in every now and then if wanted, but totally understand if not! smile.gif

QUOTE(Belladoah @ Sep 30 2008, 12:39 PM) View Post

Glad you have created this thread! Some people do know in advance they have to go straight to IVF/AC so it is good to have a thread that has no time frame on it for this subject. I hope it helps and supports those who need it, good luck to all, xox.
Could not agree more wink.gif

Wedding worrier, my advice would be to make sure you are 100% certain you want to take the leap and begin the journey beofre you commit. And if financially you are also unsure, it may be worth considering that by waiting an extra 7-8 weeks (oh boy help us that the end of the year is only 14 odd weeks away ohmy.gif ) it will put you into the new year and the start of the safety net, so if you require more than one cycle you will get that benefit and not be as much out of pocket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users