Photo

Useful Resources

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kell

Kell

I have a pocketful of Jolly Ranchers. No. Really.

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

I thought it might be a good idea to make a sticky post with useful resources for infertility etc. These can be books, movies, blogs, websites - whatever! I'll list a few of my faves:

Why Me? The Real-Life Guide to Infertility by Loraine Brown. (1998, Simon & Schuster, Sydney).

The Psychological Impact of Infertility: A comparison with Patients with Other Medical Conditions, by A.D. Domar, P.C. Zuttermeister and R. Friedman (1993).

Getting Pregnant The Hard Way: A Husbands Tale
by Mikael Svanstrom. http://www.mikaelsvanstrom.com/ Can be purchased from his site; a blokes look at IVF etc.

Sex at 6pm: A Personal Journey Through IVF by Annarosa Berman (2006).New Holland Publishers.

#2 5Angels

5Angels

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:54 AM

Access

For infertility information, support and advocacy.

I'm joining today because I really need some counselling to help me through all this crap.

#3 Puggie

Puggie

Part of the Furniture

• ForumAddict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,808 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE(~gumnut~ @ Sep 12 2007, 08:54 AM) View Post

I'm joining today because I really need some counselling to help me through all this crap.

Aw Bel sad.gif

#4 5Angels

5Angels

i-do Addict

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(Puggie @ Sep 12 2007, 08:56 AM) View Post

Aw Bel sad.gif

Thanks darl. I think yesterday's events have really hit hard today.

POSAA - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Association of Australia

Support, information and advice for PCOS sufferers and their friends & family.

#5 Kell

Kell

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

For newbies to IVF:

The Couple's Guide to In Vitro Fertilization: Everything you need to know to maximise your chances of success" by Liza Charlesworth. (There is nothing amazing in there, just a good intro if its all unfamiliar).

I also enjoyed:

Inconceiveable by Ben Elton (humourous).

#6 ~Emma~

~Emma~

Artist formally known as Blizzy

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Kell @ Sep 11 2007, 10:56 AM) View Post

Sex at 6pm: A Personal Journey Through IVF by Annarosa Berman (2006).New Holland Publishers.

totally 2nd this. I really enjoyed this and it made it all the more clearer to me.

anotehr one i was recomended by my clinic was Baby Steps by Jason Davies. It is another blokes veiw, hubby is actually quite keen to get it and have a squizz

#7 alaia

alaia

absofreakinlutely

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Kell @ Sep 11 2007, 10:56 AM) View Post

Getting Pregnant The Hard Way: A Husbands Tale[/i] by Mikael Svanstrom. http://www.mikaelsvanstrom.com/ Can be purchased from his site; a blokes look at IVF etc.

Is this book from a male's point of view or is it actually about male infertility? Basically our problem is due to my husband and I am wanting to know more about male infertility and there is nothing out there!

#8 ~Emma~

~Emma~

Artist formally known as Blizzy

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

Brit, it is from a males perspective, not sure if it is male factor or not though..

#9 Kell

Kell

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(alaia @ Sep 27 2007, 04:22 PM) View Post

Is this book from a male's point of view or is it actually about male infertility? Basically our problem is due to my husband and I am wanting to know more about male infertility and there is nothing out there!

That one is about male infertility from his view, theres more info on his website too.

#10 alaia

alaia

absofreakinlutely

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

Thanks girls, I will check it out this afternoon smile.gif

#11 Kell

Kell

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

Just wanted to add the following to this list. It is the worlds biggest blogroll of Infertility blogs! Truly, it is simply enormous, and it is helpfully broken down into categories (e.g. IVF, Adoption (international/domestic/undecided), PCOS, Secondary IF, Stillbirth, Unexplained, Azoospermia etc etc). It also has categories for pregnancy and parenting after <various sorts of infertility etc>. I think is it is bloody fantastic!

What is even better, is that it is organised so that there are people designated to click on each blog listed 1-2 times a week, and report anything back to a central newsletter that goes out to all who subscribe daily enabling them to click through and support those blogs that need it. Takes 5 minutes a day and gives such huge support.

I just think it is brilliant! (Thanks to BecD for linking to it on her blog for me to discover!)

Lost and Found Connections Abound

The list is down the lefthand side of the screen (most current), and is also located: Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters. No one need EVER be alone with their infertility hell again. Melissa (the organiser of the amazing lists) is a flat out legend!

#12 soot

soot

Advanced Member

• frequent poster
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

IVF & ever after by Nicola Bedos

I won a copy of this and have heard her speak. Although it is not just about the conception journey as a lot of the book talks about the way parents who TTC through IVF treat their children differently to others.

#13 Kell

Kell

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:53 AM

Sounds interesting, I have my own theories on parenting after infertility, I'd be interested to see what she says.

#14 *Michelle*

*Michelle*

Jacks mummy

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,743 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:57 AM

[quote name='lisa3777' date='Feb 23 2008, 09:17 PM' post='2076723']
IVF & ever after by Nicola Bedos

I won a copy of this and have heard her speak. Although it is not just about the conception journey as a lot of the book talks about the way parents who TTC through IVF treat their children differently to others.
[/quoteSounds extremely interesting..

Although I dont have time to read a book how does she feel parents of IVF children parent different??

#15 Kell

Kell

• avid user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:16 AM

Looking at this article, it sounds like a negative book regarding IVF. Lisa, would you agree, or does the article come across wrong?

The skeptic in me sees she is a privately practicing counsellor and is drumming herself up some business from the IVF patients with fear tactics. JMO of course!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users