Has anyone had a wedding there?
- Yes, me! In November '06. It was amazing. We had our ceremony on the island at Balmoral and then bussed our guests over. Most of our guests were from overseas and they LOVED having cocktails before dinner in the late afternoon sun, watching the boats on the harbour and views over to the bridge. I'm mean, come on, can you GET any more fabulous than that view!!!
They also got a great kick out of the kookaburras and possums at night.
How was the food?
- Great. We had THE largest prawns ever. Guests raved about it for ages.
Were they sufficiently flexible on start and finish times?
- VERY. In fact, we chose them because they were one of the few places round that would let us stay later than 11pm. We had a 1am close - as my hubbys family is irish and irish weddings go till 3-4am we couldn't kick everyone out at 11!
Do they mind if you use an external decorator?
- No... although I didn't do anything. We just had red orchids and red candles on their white table cloths and red candles in jars outside and in the loos. I just let the venue speak for itself and everyone LOVED how rustic it was. I agonised over chair covers and in the end didn't even bother with them!! Such a lovely change from all the 'big old house' venues that all start to look the same. It really felt like we were in a house in the bush all alone (but at the same time in the middle of Sydney Harbour).
Any insights would be much appreciated, and also any other suggestions.
- Go for it. I did and never regretted a second of it AND I had SO SO many people tell me how it was such a great venue and so 'different' and refreshing. Back then we were living in Mosman so it was important to have our wedding in our 'back yard' - hence Balmoral and Athol Hall. And we are really outdoorsy types anyway so it suited us down to the ground. We wouldn't have gone near anything 'posh'
For some reason I don't have that many wedding photos online..but here are some links to a few from Athol. Feel free to scroll through the albumshttp://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/--...feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/cB...feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/Ep...feat=directlink